Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Oh boy, this could be bad... >

Oh boy, this could be bad...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Oh boy, this could be bad...

Old 04-25-2004, 05:57 PM

Default Oh boy, this could be bad...

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I was in here, but here I am again with a problem on my hand. I went out shooting the other day using my fathers Remington Model 742 in the .30-06 caliber. I wanted to try some ammo I bought from Midway and the first round that I fired seemed to fire fine, but the shell got stuck in the chamber. I thought it was like any other shell jam I have had with other brands of rounds, but this one is stuck really bad, I even broke a rod trying to push it out from the chamber.

I called my local gun-smith and asked them about this and they told me they wouldn't have anyone in until next week and even then they didnt know if they were able to help me. So, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or tips on what to do?

The ammo I used was the cheap russian Barnaul .30-06 caliber and I recommend everyone with semi-automatics to stay away from it for now.

Any help on this matter would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2004, 06:23 PM

Default RE: Oh boy, this could be bad...

ir655 The same thing happend to a fellow I know and the gun smith was not abel to get it out so whine all outs filled he put alot of oil and wd 40 in the bore and let it set over night and then it came right out with a clining rod good luck
Old 04-25-2004, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

It could be several things.

Do they have steel cases? Steel is not nearly as elastic as brass and in a high pressure round like the 30-06 it may not have deexpanded back to its original shape.

A dirty chamber could lead to stuck case.

A improperly (over) loaded cartridge could certainly lead to a stuck case.

If the chamber is not polished properly (600 grit) it could be too rough and not let go of the case properly.

The cases could be out of SAAMI specs. If the cartridge is too short you headspace would be excessive for that particular cartridge and could cause it to rupture.

With out actually seeing it we all would only be guessing.

If you don't need to shoot it immediately I would let the gunsmith get it out. If you do need it right away get a COATED steel rod and lightly tap it out after puting some kind of lubricant down the bore and letting it work for a while.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:21 PM

Thank you gentlemen. I will give it a try with the coated rod and some lubricant. I have 3 other guns to shoot with so I am not that worried. I just wanted to get it out of there, kinda bugs me that a shell is stuck in it and I can't get it out.

BTW, it was a steel case and I think the shell expanded and didn't de-expand. When I fired the round I saw the "fire" through the scope, so I know the actuall bullet fired.

Anyway, stay away from these rounds if you have a rifle like the Remington 742: [link]http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/239633[/link]
Old 04-25-2004, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think someone hit it on the head- steel cased ammo- it usually has a laquer coating on it that can make it sticky when hot.

penetrating oil and a cleaning rod should do it- I'd reccommend filling the barrel partially with Kroil.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like to fast of a burning powder ,which don't give the action time to operate correctly . I have opened a few of them with a cleaning rod and a rubber mallet . good luck .
Old 04-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have heard of lots of problems from cheap import ammo. The biggest reason is that their ammo is not manufactured with high specs and tolerances and not made to SAAMI specs. I had problems with wolf ammo in my 223.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:59 AM

Thank you for the tips guys. I really tried everything and I kept breaking or bending rods, so I took it to my local gun-smith the other day and he got it out for me, charged me $5 because he broke his rod too. I went out and fired 6 rounds the next day to make sure the extractor and everything was ok and it seemed to be perfectly fine. I used Winchester's 150 grain FMJ rounds this time. I am staying away from the cheap russian ammo from now on.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I understand the problem.

If you use oil to try and loosen this spent case enough to drive it out somehow......REMEMBER!!!

Don't be over anxious to try another round OF ANY MANUFACTURE before thoroughly cleaning the barrel to remove any residual oil!!! Excess (residual) oil can cause a barrel to explode when fired!

Just a reminder to play it safe!

By the way, the 742 is a fine rifle in my book!

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 04-29-2004, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the info uncle matt. I cleaned the whole whole gun and made sure I didn't have excess lubricant in the barrel. The 742 IS a great rifle to hunt with as long as you keep it clean and take care of it. Thanks for the input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.