Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
got a couple ?s >

got a couple ?s

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

got a couple ?s

Old 02-17-2002, 07:27 PM

Default got a couple ?s

what is the smallest gun or bullet size i could use on a deer and still get a clean kill? i want to get a good varmit gun that i can use for deer too. another question is what is the fastest varmit gun. i think it might be a .22-250 but im not sure. that is what i want to get but then i will just have to get a different gun for deer cause i think that would be too small...just let me know what u think. thanks

Logan
Old 02-17-2002, 07:36 PM

Default RE: got a couple ?s

try a .243win or .260rem they make good varmit guns and make cleaner kills on deer size game
Old 02-17-2002, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check your states hunting regulations. See what caliber is minimum for deer.A 243 would probably be what you are looking for. Would be good for varmints and deer. I prefer a larger caliber for deer myself but the 243 has taken it's share of whitetails.A 25-06 would be another option. Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-17-2002, 07:43 PM

my wife and myslef shoot 243 for deer;I also shoot varmits with mine.
I shoot 80 grain winchester psp both for deer and varmints.the 80 grain has taken in excess of 25 deer for me since a friend gave me this gun.no one lost animal.
have taken coyotes out to a measured 400 yrds.
people say 80 grains is to small for deer.I know I will get a lot of flack for it,but it has proven well for me.
each to his own,that is my 2 cents worth. there are 98 more.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 02-17-2002, 07:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-17-2002, 08:32 PM
XTP

I would go with the .243 as a minimum for deer.Yes,I know thousands of deer have fallen to the various .22's,but they are rather light to ensure clean kills.Why not look at a .25-06 or 7mm-08?? Loaded light,good for varmints...loaded heavy,great for deer.Your best shot with any caliber is still a broadside heart/lung shot.Shooting at an animals head is risky buisness,as there is no margin for error.A shot to low or forward will result in a horrible wound to the jaw and nasal passages.Stick with a broadside and just aim behind the shoulder to avoid the bone.
Old 02-17-2002, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as I know the 220 Swift is the fastest Varmimt rifle I know of. There may be some faster Wildcats I don't know. Good Luck.
Old 02-18-2002, 01:51 AM

What Ruger-Redhawk said.....

Also, yes the .220 swift is basically the fastest varmint round alive. Not counting the rare wildcat loads.

Picture this. A .220 swift is a little .22 caliber bullet sitting on top of a 30-06 case. What power, speed and in some cases, mid flight desintigration!!!!

Go with the slower .22-250 instead of a .220 swift for varmints.
Old 02-18-2002, 01:57 AM

A fast .22 will kill a deer if everything goes right, but they're far from optimal for deer hunting. A .243 is better but still not what I consider a deer round although many will argue with me on that one. In my opinion deer rounds start at the .257 caliber and go up from there.

If you're looking for a dual purpose round then logic dictates that you have to pick one adequate for the largest game you're hunting and accept the limitations it has on the smaller game. If you're buying a truck that's got to pull a 15,000 lb trailer once every six months and serve as a daily driver the rest of the time you don't buy a four cylinder nissan, you buy a big diesel since it's able to handle the biggest job you're going to throw at it. Same thing with rifles, get one that'll work for deer and use it for varmits. If you try to make a varmit rifle work for deer then you're asking for trouble.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:43 AM

A lot of folks seem to think the 220 Swift is a necked down 30-06....not true, its a 6mm Lee Navy case, its smaller than an 06.

If you are wanting a gun for both varmits and deer get an 06. its good for deer and varmits won't mind that its a little much for them.

Quick Reply: got a couple ?s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.