Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Favorite caliber and why >

Favorite caliber and why

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Favorite caliber and why

Old 04-14-2004, 02:04 PM

Default RE: Favorite caliber and why

7 mm Mag - I've had this caliber for years. Not too much overkill for whitetails, and can handle most any other North American game....except the big bear family.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:06 PM

30-06 Wide range of loads and you can get it in a wide range of rifles.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:13 PM

300 wm. I feel comfortable hunting anything in North America, ammo isn't ridiculously priced, and its not too extreme
Old 04-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

You mentioned Deer. My favorite deer cartridge would have to be the .270 Win.I use a 7mm RM,30-06 and other cartridges but if I had to choose just one it would be the 270.I've laid many a deer low using a 150 grain 270.Most dropped in their tracks.When something works well for you ,you stick with it.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-14-2004, 03:14 PM

My favorite would have to be the 7mm Rem Mag. The round is extremely accurate and flat shooting, very effective on most North American game and you can find it readily available at any Wal-Mart in the country. It won't let you down!
Old 04-14-2004, 09:58 PM

If I had to have just one of the rifles to do anything, I'd take my 300 Weatherby Mag. With the right bullets it has killed everything on the earth, maybe not the best for everything but it has done it.

KC
Old 04-15-2004, 12:49 AM
Host of Hosts

My favorite for deer is also the 270 Winchester. Why? Good flat shooter, low recoil and ammo can be had anywhere.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:33 AM

It depends on what you want the rifle for. There are many calibers and every shooter has his or her own favorite depending on needs. If you are planning on buying a new rifle I would recomend buying a newer caliber. Meaning I would not buy a 45/70, 35 remington, 257 roberts, 30/30, etc. I am not saying these calibers are bad in anyway(I love my 30/30) but there are newer calibers that will get you better balistics and shoot flater.

Personaly if I could only own 1 rifle it would be the 300 Win Mag. This caliber is very versitle. You can use light magnum loads for deer, use regular ammo for bear(small to medium), and heavy loads(federal 200 grain) for moose. If you reload then you can load this rifle to a 30-06 performance and get less recoil at the range. I have never tried it buy you can load 100 grain bullets in this caliber. You can hunt any game in North America with this round(assuming you arent hunting varmets). Of the 30 cal mags it is the most reasonable at about $20 a box.(price out all the 30 cal ammo) I own a ruger M77MKI in this caliber and absolutley love it.

If I was buying 3 rifles(match the game to the gun) I would get a 22 caliber(or the new 17), a 7mm caliber(or 25) and a 338 or 375 caliber. That way I could hunt small game with the 22. Deer, preadtors, small bear with the 7mm and Moose, large bear, about anything that moves with the 338 or 375. I agree with the guy about walmart. They have a Ruger model 77 for $460 and a savage 111G for $370. A good woods gun for the price is the savage combo with scope for $420 and they have many calibers including Win short mags(check the ammo price first). If you are looking to hunt mostly deer the 30-06 combo with a scope for $340 is a steal. They even sell browning, weatherby, and have a special order catalog.

I would read a book on balistics or check out a reloading book. That way you can see what each caliber can do. You can also check out remingtons web site and compare 3 diffrent balistics(thier loads).

Good Luck
Jay
Old 04-15-2004, 03:40 AM

i am with Wile E. on this one.

i love my 35whelen don't get me wrong. but since i don't reload i don't get to utilize the other selections of bullets out there.
so i would have to vote for the 30-06sprg. ammo is cheap for plinking and their is a good selection of ammo from 150gr. to 220gr. depending on what you are hunting. i even find rem core-lokt's every once in awhile going for $10.00 a box.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

If i could only own one rifle i've always said it would be the 30.06 and i've killed more deer with that caliber than any other. However, several years ago i started using a 25.06 and absolutely fell in love with that caliber and that is now my number one deer rifle.

Quick Reply: Favorite caliber and why

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.