Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 gun's for big hog's 400lbs+ >

gun's for big hog's 400lbs+

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gun's for big hog's 400lbs+

Old 05-03-2004, 12:09 PM

Default RE: gun's for big hog's 400lbs+

i have not had the luxury of hunting hogs.but what about these three calibers???

.358win 35whelen 350rem mag. i am a fan of the 35's
Old 05-03-2004, 04:00 PM

Default RE: gun's for big hog's 400lbs+

I hunt in south Arkansas at Fesenthal National Wildlife Refuge. You can only use a gun that is in season. From October through January, that is a 22 rim fire. We hunt hogs with a 22 mag. I have killed several hogs at less than 10 yards coming towards me. I do not think they were charging, they just happen to be pointed in my direction when they decided to run. I have killed a lot more by shooting them through the base of the ear broad sided. There have been several killed in the 400 to 500 pound range, but most hogs are 225 pounds or less. I said all that to say this, it does not matter what gun you use as long as you can shoot it accurately. I am not recommending hog hunting with a 22 mag if it is legal to hunt with a larger, more powerful gun. I have been at the rifle range and seen people complaining that their 300 mag would not group, only to have the range master set down and shoot a 1 inch group with the owners gun. The owner was flinching from the recoil. You would be surprised how many people can shoot a 30-30 or 260 Remington better than a 45-70, 300 mag or 358. My personal favorite gun when not hunting on the refuge, plain old 30-30. It is light, short, almost no recoil, and very easy to handle in brush. I also like to hunt from the ground with a recurve bow. It has almost no knock down power.