Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 264 win. mag >

264 win. mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

264 win. mag

Old 04-05-2004, 07:54 PM

Default 264 win. mag

I am considering the purchase of another gun, i have the gun situation pretty well covered right now, a 22-250 for varmints, a 270 for deer and antelope, and a 300 win mag for elk, moose and such. I will probably buy a used gun, and am thinking about a 264 win mag. I know it's the same as my 270, but it's an old classic, maybe a collectors item someday, and most of all, i just want one. I have heard the storys about shooting out barrels, and was just wondering if anyone has owned one awhile, and has shot it some to give me the real story. I here the same story's about the new 300 rem ultra mag, but in a multiple gun battery, i would expect a barrell to last me a lifetime, but looking at the used market, the one i'm looking at could very well be shot out. Any opinions would be appreciated.
I personally don't know anyone that owns one.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 264 win. mag

I owned a .264 in a M-70 Classic.....It shot real good and was a fine hunting rifle.....As far as I'm concerned the barrel burn out issue is way overworked.....Just don't shoot it hot.....when the barrel gets to the point that you can't hold it up by hand it's too hot.....Used as a hunting rifle is not a problem.....using it on prairie dogs can be a tad hard on barrels because there's a tendency to do a lot of shooting.....and the barrel gets hotter than blases and that kills a barrel.

I sold it because it's just too close to my .270 but if you wish to be a collector I'd go for it.....It's a helluva long range pronghorn and mule deer rifle for sure. But I never saw any advasntage in that over the
Old 04-06-2004, 01:30 PM

thanks vapodog,
If i can find the right rifle at our up and coming gun show, i think i will pick one up, i won't be doing extensive shooting with it, and will probably look at a ruger #1 if i can find it
Old 04-06-2004, 02:03 PM

If you were to compare the 264 Win. it would compare best with the Remington 7MM. Thats is what Winchesters answer to the 7MM. I would think it will be harder to find the 264 then the 7MM.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

Many moons ago when I first got my Win. 70 in .264 mag. I shot a 5 shot group at 100 yards that I covered with a quarter. I can't shoot groups like that any more but it could be partly opperator error. I can't say I have shot it a lot. At least not prairie dog control shooting, lots.

With it I have killed white-tails, mule deer, pronghorn, elk, moose, black bear, bighorn sheep, coyotes and even knocked the heads off a few grouse.

I could have probabley made all those kills with a .270 or less (well one coyote at 480 paces was the kind of shot the .264 was made for)but ths .264 is fun to own and shoot.

Robin
Old 04-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Speedgoat

. I have heard the storys about shooting out barrels, and was just wondering if anyone has owned one awhile, and has shot it some to give me the real story.

In a OLD Speer manual I have it states thet reports have it that as few as 500 factory rounds and the barrels were shot out.I don't see that in the newer Speer manual I have.What killed the 264 popularity was the 7mm Rem Mag was introduced in 1962,The 264 was introduced in the mid 50's in a series of four short, belted magnums cartridges introduced by Winchester.The 264 Win Mag was the smallest of the series.
Ruger Redhawk