Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hard Closing Bolt >

Hard Closing Bolt

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hard Closing Bolt

Old 04-05-2004, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hard Closing Bolt

I'm having a problem with the bolt closing down on a newly aquired used Rem 700 ADL in 25.06. The COL is under the max by .020 so i know the cartridge isn't to long. This is with my handloads as i haven't tried any factory loads yet. The bolt will slide just fine up to the cartridge but when you try to push the bolt down in the slot it's really tight and also when you try to bring it back up. The COL are the same on all these rounds but with a couple of the rounds you can't push the bolt down at all period. Could someone give a little insight as to what may be causing this? Thank You!
Old 04-05-2004, 06:22 AM

Default RE: Hard Closing Bolt

Not an issue of COL, but length to the datum line that controls headspace. If your handloads chamber in another rifle, you might have a slightly longer chamber in that rifle. Your new rifle might be at the tight end of manufacturing tolerance, with a somewhat shorter chamber. Your reloading dies might be at the other end of the spectrum, or you might have them adjusted for another rifle. Try some factory ammunition, and you might check headspace on the rifle itself, although the odds of it having too little headspace are pretty remote.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:58 AM

I had the same problem,make sure you cases are trimed 10 thousands less than the estimated max case length,(2.494)- trim to 2.484,and when you seat the bullet make sure you have the right col.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:44 AM
bigcountry

Take to a gun smith and have a no go guage put on the gun. Well worth it to know if you headspace is correct. Also a wilson headspace guage might help. I have seen more and more lately, full size dies be incorrect dimensions. Not often, but it is scene.

Old 04-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

I purchased a new Ruger 77 in 300 WSM and my hand loads were doing the same thing. I found out that the RCBS dies I were using had to be higher than all of my other calibers. The seating die was compressing the case. Measure just below the shoulder on a resized die with out a bullet and then measure the same place on one with a bullet. If the one with the bullet is wider you are compressing the case with the seating die. Raise the die up. Another problem could be not fully sizing the die. The sizing die should contact the shell holder and just barley cam over.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:21 AM
DM

hey gundigest,

Were you trying to crimp your cases onto the bullets? I don't like crimping non straight walled cases, so i keep the seating die backed off the shell holder quite a bit. Then ajust the SEATER plug to get the bullet depth you want. "If" you ajust the seat die too far down, it will crimp, and "over crimp" a longer case, causeing what you described.

Bottom line is, each set of dies "should be" ajusted for the rifle they will be used with, especially the full sizer die!!

Drilling Man