Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 NEF vs. T/C encore >

NEF vs. T/C encore

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

NEF vs. T/C encore

Old 03-28-2004, 09:18 AM

Default NEF vs. T/C encore

I was looking into getting either a NEF rifle with the interchangeable barrles or a T/C encore. I was wondering which one was more accurate and reliable. I have heard good about both just cant make my mind up.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: NEF vs. T/C encore

I would go with the T/C Encore myself. To me it has a better feel than the NEF. Both are very good and accurate. Although the T/C does hasve a little more recoil than does the NEF.

Hope it helps.
Leroy
Old 03-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

You can get a Limbsaver for the T/C Encore if it has too much recoil.

Personally, my Encore does not have a bad recoil. Then again, I am a big guy and recoil to me is an insignificant thing to consider.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

I weigh about 225 pounds and recoil does not bother me either.
All I was saying was that with the heavier loads it does kick a little harder . So for the people that are a little recoil sensitive. It does kick harder than the NEF.

Now then , It does have a better feel and fit than the NEF rifles do.
I love my T/C and would'nt trade it for the world. (GOD only knows that that would be a BAD trade!!!
But for some it may be a little too much.

Just my two cents though.
Leroy
Old 03-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

I own both and would like to refute the comments on recoil.
The NEF on average is about 1-2 pounds lighter depending on what barrel is on either gun. That extra weight speaks to a lot of things not the least of which is recoil. More gun weight = less percieved recoil. The Encore by virtue if its stock design tends to be more "pointable" and in my opinion more comfortable to shoot "offhand". T/C guarantees all of it's barrels to shoot m.o.a. with factory ammo; a clain that NEF just can't make.
Now you can buy at least 2 NEF's for the price of an Encore but in no way can you really compare the quality of one to the other.
NEF's MUST be sent back to the factory to have additional barrels "fitted" to your frame where as the T/C...you can just but any barrel that fits and Encore and put it on your gun. Oh and BTW, it takes about 8-10 weeks to get your gun back fron NEF!
I am not knocking NEF but the Encore is in a different league. Like I said earlier, I own NEF's and would buy another one for any one of my 5 sons. They are well built and durable, and as with any hammer gun; IMHO, very safe.
That said, an Encore with a 26 inch heavy barrel is going to have less percieved recoil that an NEF with a 22 inch barrel any day. Accuracy with the NEF can range from OK to excellent, while the accuracy fron the T/C Encore is guaranteed.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

For better quality go with the Encore. For much less money, go with the NEF. Either will do the job on Game if you do your part.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally feel that the NEF's have a LOT better feel than the Encores-I never really know what I'm holding when I hold an Encore, I always feel like I'm holding a pistol, but I'm shooting a rifle, the NEF's are rifles through and through-I also like that you don't just go out and buy bbls for the NEF's, you send your receiver in and have them fitted (for a little less than Encore bbls usually), buying one off the shelf gives no guarantee that everything is going to be kosher.

Don't get me wrong, the Encore and Contender are great guns, but they're not for me, I bought one with 5 bbls at a steal, and sold it for a mint about a year later-tried on about all of the "parts" T/C offers to get it to feel right, never could get it down.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

If you are looking for versatility and quality go with the Encore. There are tons of bbls for it and you can change it into a pistol. The NEF doesn't make a bbl bigger than 7mm. The Encore also has a real nice trigger and can easily be adjusted.
However, if you are just looking for a fun inexpensive gun you cant beat the NEF. I have shot the .223 heavy bbl and the .243. They are both accurate and light on recoil. If you get the NEF, I would recomend sending it in to have the trigger job. It is cheap yet worth the money.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:41 PM

Bigbuck270, you're wrong, they make several calibers that are larger than the 7mm. Not only do they have several .22 calibers but also .243, .25, .270, .280, .30 and .44-.45 including the .45-70. If you can't get it done with any of the calibers NEF offers (including the .45-70 bigbore) then you need to go back to the range and practice or apply for a bazooka permit.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Not taking anything away from the NEF, because I know its a fine rifle. But, if price is not a concern, I'd go with the Encore. If fits me like a glove and has several more barrel options that the NEF doesn't offer. With one Encore frame, you can choose from several different cailber/guages in pistol, shotgun, rifle and muzzle-loading barrels. With the versitilty and accuracy of the Encore, they're hard to beat. Just my .02.

Quick Reply: NEF vs. T/C encore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.