Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 303 british fans >

303 british fans

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

303 british fans

Old 03-23-2004, 10:41 AM

Default 303 british fans

Last night I found a 303 British no4 mk1 that I could not pass up (as if I needed yet another project). My wife tristed my arm and made me buy it so its sitting at home right now. My brother had a mk3 when I was just getting into hunting and wanted one since.
What puzzles me is that it has near the front sight and behind the rear sight, copper colored wire wraped around the stock, its about 3" wide & soldered together. I was guessing its for a granade launcher? Anybody know??
Also anybody reload for a 303? I see seirra has a 150 & 175gr bullet, wondering what powder anybody found works good. I was suprised to see loaded amo still avaliable (fj was 8.99 at dunhams)
I would like to here from any 303 fans out there
Old 03-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 303 british fans

I am a big fan of the 303 British, very good round although that is one round I don't reload so I can't give any info.
The grenade luanchers usually have wire in three places. One where you mentioned and two wraps of wire in front of the receiver and on the forward part of the fore-arm.
As mant things that has gone on since that rifle was made it is hard to tell.
Maybe the stock is cracked under the wire, or maybe someone removed the other wire bands, maybe it just had one to start with.??????????
That round has taken it share of deer around this area.

My mk4 no1 will a 9'' steel plate all day long at 400yrds with stock sights.
It is my most accurate rifles at long range, with open sights.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:25 AM

You may or may not have a worn out barrel. Many of the No. 4's were turned into gernade launchers due to the barrels being worn to the point of not being acceptable for normal use. But from what I understand some were just regulated to gerande launching duty without any signs of excessive wear. Southern Ohio gun is currently selling these for $79.00
Old 03-25-2004, 06:07 AM

My mistake, my buddy was just telling me about his no4 mk1 303 before I wrote the post, so it was stuck in my mind. I have a no1 mark3. Anyway the same applies, granade launchers and all. Checked out Southern Ohio gun, looks just like what they have. Last night I started cleaning it up, the packing grease (caslin? I think its called) is packed into every creavis it can get into. The bore looks really good, and dispite a couple dings the stock looks in good condition. This weekend I will go and run some rounds through it before I total take it down. The best thing I found to get rid of the grease is easy-off oven cleaner, worked wonders on my turk, either way it is a mess! Diyj98 have you ordered a gun from Southern Ohio gun?
Old 03-25-2004, 08:08 AM

I've ordered a ton of guns from them over the years. I've never ordered the wirewrapped No. 1's though. I have a number of Enfields, but I try to stick to WWII and before examples.

The U.S. term for that grease you're talking about is cosmoline. Some folks use mineral spirts to clean it. WD-40 works great, but kerosine works as well and is much cheaper. That oven cleaner can be damaging to your wood. I know a lot of folks use it, but it's still hard on the wood and if some of it seeps out later it can cause rust on the metal.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have two 303's One a British Enfield from Canada. These had great looking shinny bores and nice stocks. The other was made for the British here in the states Mine was made by Eddiestone on our 30-06 action. These are a good and very strong rifle. Much stronger than the British Enfield. I am sure factory ammo will be around for a long time as the 303 world wide is still going strong. The old 303 because of where it served has taken all African game many times over. Al;though it would hardly be recommended for such a task. In the hands of a good Marksman its done the job for over a hundred years. I have not shot mine to much and although I reload for it, I don't have any of my data handy. I would like to see the NEF handi rifle come out in either 303 Brit or 30-40 Krag.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:32 PM

My 303 is made in india, from the markings it may have been issued in South Australia, found a web site that gives all the markings (enfield-stuff.com). The wood looks good, no cracks, one chip.

My brother shot at least 6 deer with his mark III, one I whatched drop in its tracks at 110yrds. Ive seen its potencey first hand on deer.
I just got my dies for it yesterday, along with 180gr rem core locks. These are what my brother used (factory ammo) with good success. I have gathered some reloading data for it but it will be a while before I start whipping up loads. The gun is currently in pieces right know.

I'm not for sure is rem has not came out with a classic in 303 or 30-40 but if I founds one I would snatch it up. I have a turkish mauser that has a headspacing problem and I either have to have it reamed to 8mm-06 or rebarrel it. I have been considering a older military caliber, I have been seriously considering 30-40krag. I shot a 7 point with my grandfathers krag jorgenson and just have a weakness for old military calibers.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:52 AM

sounds like you have found yourself a nice firearm. not alone having a wife that would twist your arm to buy it.
right now i am in the WWII gun kick and trying to buy acouple from that era. i always have been looking for the jungle carbine with tthat wierd muzzle cone at the end.
i have also heard that the enfields actions/ bolt's are hard to come across and hard to fix compared to a mauser. are there alot of replacemet parts oyt there for them?
Old 04-01-2004, 08:20 AM

No. 4 parts are everywhere. I wouldn't worry about trouble finding parts. Numrich, Springfield Sporters, and others have all the parts you'd ever need. And with the Bubba sporterized rifles everywhere, you can always pick up a complete rife for $50.00 and have your own set of extra parts.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:59 AM

I bought one a bunch of years ago for about 80 bucks from a departmant store. It's still in Cosmoline but I have been looking at cleaning it up and shooting it. A good education for us not in the know about the wire wrap, etc. Thanks, Juniorpc.

Quick Reply: 303 british fans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.