Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 have 30.06 buying 300 win mag worth it? >

have 30.06 buying 300 win mag worth it?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

have 30.06 buying 300 win mag worth it?

Old 03-22-2004, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: have 30.06 buying 300 win mag worth it?

As others have said, if you really want another gun then I would go up to the 338 or 375H&H. I have had the 300 Win Mag and 300 Weatherby Mag. as well as several 30-06 and 270and 280's. The 30-06 is all the gun you really need for North America. However if its not the only gun you WANT then let your wallet be your guide. Were I starting over, I would stay with my 30-06 and invest the extra money in optics and a range finder and some of the other stuff. I would put aside a lot of the money that I spent on guns for a few more fun hunting trips. Thats 20-20 hindsight speaking. Not that I have not enjoyed owning half of the calibers ever invented but A guy can get tied up in the equipment race and loose sight of the oppertunities to use it. Just my Opinion.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Your .30-06 is plenty for your upcoming hunts, and much more on the side. In your situation, I wouldn't be able to justify the expense of a new rifle.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:22 PM

Pace

I would never discourage someone from buying another gun. As others have said "you can't have too many" and I have a safe full to prove it.

HOWEVER, I think what has not yet been articulated yet on this thread is what IMHO is the most important component to your successful moose hunt in Newfoundland. The rifle you use is the one you should be fully accustomed to. I don't mean accustomed to shooting a few hundred rounds off the bench but one you've hunted with, carried, shot from standing, kneeling, prone, rested on stumps or rocks; the one you know inside out and you are comfortable and confident with. You may only get one good opportunity at that big bull and that's not the time to be still getting accustomed to that new rifle. gg.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:25 PM

I appreciate all the replies so far.
(James B) Were I starting over, I would stay with my 30-06 and invest the extra money in optics and a range finder and some of the other stuff
I have a remington 30.06 ADL and just put the new leupold VXIII on it. The new scope is awesome and in my opinion worth every penny. I actually have more money in the scope than I do the gun. I figured the remington ADL could outshoot my personal capabilities so I couldn't see going crazy on the gun and for my budget, went a little more on the scope.
(Danny45) If I liked a particular caliber like the -06, and just wanted another rifle, I'd be more inclined to buy a Browning BLR or BAR, or a Remington semi-auto or pump action, in that same caliber and leave it with open sights and use it for when hunting in brushy terrain where close fast shots are likely saving the scoped rifle for longer, open range type shots.
I own a Remington 7400 semi-automatic outfitted with a Leupold M8 fixed 4power scope. This gun is my favorite Maine hunting gun and it's extremely accurate for an automatic. With a handload a friend of mine worked up for the auto's, the first day down the range the gun was able to shoot 3-3 shot groups at 50yards all touching an inch high of the bull. I know a lot of people don't like the semi-auto guns but for a close range gun I don't think that one can be beat. My shotgun which gets used every day of the 2 week deer season here in Massachusetts is a Remington 12ga 11-87 Special purpose Deer gun with a cantilevered scope mount equipped with a leupold M8 fixed 2.5 power heavy duplex scope. This gun is very impressive shooting 1oz barnes expander slugs 5 shot touching groups at 50yds and
2 1/2" groups at 100. My problem has always been shooting open sites, I'm not that good at it. And therefore every gun I own has a leupold scope on it including my muzzleloaders.
Quite possibly after reading this post I may go with the .338 Thanks again for all the replies and good shooting and hunting to all.............John
Old 03-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pace, If you can't afford the 300, don't worry about it. As much as you say you would use it, I wold say pass on it. Your '06 will handle moose and bear no problem.
I have a 300 WM and I like it. But then again, I don't have a '06 (I must be un-American). My most used rifle is my .270, followed by my 7mm-08 then the 45-70. The only time the 300 WM comes out is when I think I may get a shot in the 250 - 300 yard range. Like DM says 300 yds is my max. I would ever consider shooting at any critter except maybe a varmint.
Your 06 is fine. Use your own judgement.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

As long as you can shoot the 30-06 well and you really like it I'd stick with it. The 300 win is my personal choice and the one I use the most. If I was to buy another rifle in the power class as in your case I would buy one like the .375 h&h. Then you would have a well rounded selection of guns from deer hunting to alaskan brown bear. It's all about your intentions for the caliber. It doesn't take power to kill only precision. And its alot cheaper to get in practice with a 30-06 vs. a 300 winmag. And if your looking to buy more guns by all means have fun and shoot em all.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:05 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-28-2004, 12:28 PM

If you are wishing your 06 had a little more, you could look at reaming out the chamber, have an 06 Ackley Improved. Of course you will then get the satisfaction of having your friends with the 300 WM work up a reload for you, and they will wonder how that measly 06 can shoot flatter than their magnums...

The 06 improved shines the most with the heavier bullet weights. Reaming and die set should be around $200.

Then you will still have the benefit of holding a rifle you are familiar with, mostly. If you ever find yourself without your handloads, you can still buy and shoot factory 06 ammo.

But, as has been said, there is nothing wrong with another rifle in the stable either.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:44 AM

If you really want to use 200 grainers, I would go with the 300win, of course I am partial to it... If you can limit yourself to a certain range the 30-06 with 200 grainers would be fine... But as someone else said the 300 can do anything the 30-06 can and with more range
Old 03-29-2004, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

At the end of the day its what ya feel happy with , hell go get another rifle if thats what ya want, but what the rest of the guys said the 0-6 will do the job, ive been using one since i was 15 good luck.

Quick Reply: have 30.06 buying 300 win mag worth it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.