Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Diff b/w Hornady SST and Interbond bullets? >

Diff b/w Hornady SST and Interbond bullets?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Diff b/w Hornady SST and Interbond bullets?

Old 03-04-2004, 12:01 PM
Spike

Default Diff b/w Hornady SST and Interbond bullets?

Both have polymer tips. I know the Interbond has a stiffer jacket which is bonded to the core for max weight retention. This lead me to think the SST is more apt to fragment.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Diff b/w Hornady SST and Interbond bullets?

Good question, I bought some interbond thinking they were the same as SST's (as that was what was explained to me).I heard that the SST's were excellent for accuracy. My gun didn't like the Interbond at all so now I have an almost full box sitting around. I'd like to know if I should try the SST's or not?
Old 03-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the interbonds have a thicker jacket as well to control expansion. Seems like Hornady would have picture and details for both.

https://www.hornady.com/
Old 03-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Interbond;
1) Premium Polymer Tip
The sharp point improves ballistic performance, accuracy and initiation of expansion.

2) Bonded Core
The bonded design ensures that the bullet achieves controlled expansion with virtually no fragmentation and the core will never, ever, ever, ever separate from the jacket.

3) Expansion Control Ring
Controls expansion to form a large, flat mushroom and a wide wound channel over twice the bullet diameter.

4) Thicker, Tougher, Stiffer jacket
Necessary to retain weight and guarantees over twice the bullet diameter.

SST:
1) Premium Polymer Tip
The sharp point increases the SST’s™ ballistic coefficient, making it faster and flatter shooting. On impact, the tip also initiates controlled expansion at all velocities.

2) Secant Ogive, Boattail Spire Point Profile
It’s a simple fact: bullets that travel faster hit harder. The Hornady secant ogive, boattail spire point profile gives hunters the incredible speed and downrange energy they’re looking for.

3) The InterLock™ Ring
Ensures the core and jacket remain locked solid during expansion, so the SST™ retains the mass and energy needed for dramatic wound channels. Perfected in the famous Hornady InterLock hunting bullet.

Think of the Interbond as the same as Nosler Accubond. The SST would be like the Nosler Balistic Tip.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Power last post nailed it the SST is similar to a Nosler BT and IB is similar to the Nosler Accubond.

As to how the SST perform much the same to the nosler BT and either one is my choice when hunting deer or lopers. They both are explosive style bullets but work dandy to drop a deer in its tracks. IME the accuracy between the 2 is very similar, however in my 7 rem mag the SST has produced a slight edge over the NBT in that department.

I can't compare the IB and Accubond yet as I haven't tried either, but plan to change that this year