Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

480Ruger

Old 03-03-2004, 10:58 AM

Default 480Ruger

Do to the recent threads on lever guns and big bore pumpkin throwers my interest in the 480 ruger has been rekindled. I first seen this caliber chambered in a Win model 94, I couldn't find much info (some reloading data) at the time.
-Just wonder if anybody has any experince with this caliber?
-looking for some field reports on deer/bores or anything else.
-after looking at the reloading data it looks to be about same effective range as a 44mag (in rifle) am I right to assume?

I did find a good article at http://hunting.about.com/library/wee...t480rugerb.htm
Old 03-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 480Ruger

From the experiences I had, I'd use a .480Ruger in a handgun with a scope almost as far as I'd use a .44mag RIFLE with a scope. I had a Ruger .480R Super Redhawk-first year production run, thing was a THUMPER, a LOT nicer recoil than the .454cassul in the same gun, and a little more power.

As for using one in a rifle, really, on deer, to get any more range than the .44mag, you've really got to up your speed, the .480's much much more powerful but not a lot faster, maybe tacks on another 50yrds, but it depends on how well you shoot it-if you're getting terrible groups, it doesn't matter how much power you've got, but if you can throw the .480's big ol' bullets out there accurately to 300yrds, have at it, I took a deer two years ago with a .44mag Marlin 1894 with a scope at 247yrds (laser), two shots, first would have been fatal, but it didn't go down right away, so I shot another really quickly (God bless leveractions).

Really, compared to the .44mag for deer, the .480R doesn't offer a WHOLE lot more, like I said, maybe another 50yrds at most (unless you're REALLY good at playing the rainbow-then you should get maybe another 100yrds), BUT, the .44mag isn't good for black bear/small browns, elk, moose, etc, even at close ranges, while the increased power of the .480R makes it fairly suitable for these.

So-accuracy is the range limiter of both, making them pretty well equally effective on deer in the field, whereas the power within their range is VERY different, .44mag's max game should be small elk or large deer out to a maximum of 200yrds for even the best shooters, whereas the .480R is good for basically the same range (moreso if you're familiar with your trajectory) but tops out at the great bears, game at about 1000#, as opposed to 350#.

The above is just my opinion on this subject relative to my experience and applying it to "most shooters", like I said, I took a buck at 247yrds with a .44mag rifle, and I've taken three doe beyond 100yrds with a .44mag handgun with no scope, I've taken buffalo with either of these guns at ranges from 5ft-200yrds. I took 2 doe under 100yrds with my .480R, based on the trajectory I got out of it, I make these statements, your mileage may vary.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:50 PM
bigcountry

Wow, 240 yards is quite an accomplishment. Thats like 400ft/lbs of energy at 900fps.

Old 03-03-2004, 04:27 PM

Hi bigcountry,

I remember reading accounts of Elmer Keith taking mule deer and elk at even greater ranges, (in front of witnesses), with a Model 29 loaded with one of his Keith style wadcutters. (I don't remember the exact load. I'll have to see if I can dig the book out of the boxes.)

Even accounting for the fact that "Kinetic Energy" isn't great with those bullets at those ranges........they are still effective........when effectively placed! (Admittedly though......there are few handgunners as accomplished as Elmer was!)

Dave
Old 03-03-2004, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

I can't speak of the 480 coming from a rifle, but I can coming from a handgun. Like nomercy, I bought a first-run 480 Ruger SRH with the 9 1/2 barrel. It was topped with a 4X Leupold and I took three deer with it ranging from 10yds up to 90yds. Back then, the only factory loads for it was the 325gr XTP from Hornady and it certainly did the job well. As for how it does on bone, I can't say. All of the shots on deer were either double-lung or lung/heart shots and none of the three went over 15yds before piling up. Now that there are more factory loads and plenty of handloads for it, I'd say that it would be a fine for an "in-between" caliber.(44-454)
Old 03-05-2004, 01:06 PM

@ 250 yds a 44mag (according to Remington Shoot!) has 567ftlb of energy @1031fps. So the 250 shot is sure possable, its the 14" high at 100yds that worries me. Just to much margin for error for me, but thats why I have to ol' 06. If I were to get a 480 or the 44mag it would be used in the 150yds range & bellow. I like the 94 win, the Super Redhawk would be nice but I do not have that much experince with hand guns.
Thanks