Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Deer Hunter Needs Help w/ Gun Purchase. >

New Deer Hunter Needs Help w/ Gun Purchase.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Deer Hunter Needs Help w/ Gun Purchase.

Old 02-12-2002, 08:32 PM

Default New Deer Hunter Needs Help w/ Gun Purchase.

I have been hunting upland and waterfowl for years and have never been much of a deer hunter, but am considering purchasing a used rifle w/ scope for next season. I may on a rare occassion take a shot at other big game, but not too often at all.

Although I would love to spend more, my budget will probably be $300-600. I would love to spend more, but I am already in the dog house as a result of this past years waterfowling going over budget.

I am curious as to what rifle I should be looking for, what cartridge/caliber, what scope is appropriate and if my price range is reasonable to pick up a used (not abused) gun w/ scope.

If you can't tell, I am relatively new to this realm of hunting so thanks for taking it easy on me if I don't know something; maybe you can at least get a laugh out of it.

I realize that this posting has a lot to ask, but what better place to ask it?

Thanks for any replies.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:48 PM

Default RE: New Deer Hunter Needs Help w/ Gun Purchase.

FT: I prefer a 243 cal. it is good for whitetail,and also preditor if you like.
it has very little kick,and yet will take deer well.
thats my two cents,there are 98 more.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-13-2002, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats worse than the 416 rigby I used to have in a model 70 . Make you hurt if you bought factory ammo for it . What you shooting Robert a nitro ?
Old 02-13-2002, 07:50 AM

Hit Wal mart and check out their prices. You should be able to find several things in your price range and some will even be scoped.
Any of the calibers that Quilly mentioned above will make you happy.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:09 AM

I have to agree with the idea of savage.You can get a brand new rifle for less than you can buy a used ruger or browning. Wal Mart also has some good looking winchester bolt actions for a good price. I would have to go with the .270 or 30-06, of the two i prefer .270. Simmons makes some good quality scopes that you can get for a good price.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Savage is making some excellent rifles. Not much on looks, but great shooters.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

I got a remmington 700 30.06 for 275.00 at kmart last year. With the money saved I can get a decient scope.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:48 AM

Since you may be going after game larger than deer, I would recommend either .308, 30-06 or 7 mm Remington Mag. .270 is also a great deer caliber, but would not be my first choice for larger game. My preference in rifles in the Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter. I think you could probably get a good price on one of these at Wally World.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with either a .270, because it is so flat shooting, or a .30-06, because it is accurate as all get out, and can knock down a grizz, it's THE ULTIMATE all purpose rifle.

If you don't have a lot of cash, the Savage 110s are great, they keep up pretty well with more expensive guns, but aren't quite as smooth in the action and other goodies like that. The love of my life is a Ruger Mark II M77 in .30-06, it feels so great. Rem. 710 is great too but more expensive.

Quick Reply: New Deer Hunter Needs Help w/ Gun Purchase.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.