Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Weaver style rings on a Savage 93R17-FVSS >

Weaver style rings on a Savage 93R17-FVSS

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weaver style rings on a Savage 93R17-FVSS

Old 02-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Weaver style rings on a Savage 93R17-FVSS

Several months ago I bought a Savage 93R17-FVSS which is a heavy barreled 17 HMR.I was going to mount a 3x9x40mm scope today. I've always used medium rings for a 40mm scope. The Savage comes with Weaver style bases installed.I ordered a set of Weaver Medium rings.The scope objective rests on the barrel. I just ordered a set of Millet High Angle-Loc rings instead of the Weaver again. The Weaver rings are marked Medium on the package.What gives here? Do you need to go the next step up height wise with Weaver style rings?This is my first time using Weaver style rings.Could it be that the Savage having a Bull Barrel is causing the difference in height?I'm just curious. The Millets will solve the problem. I would like some opinions in case I ever need to use Weaver style rings again. Thanks for any information you might have.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-13-2004, 07:00 PM

Default RE: Weaver style rings on a Savage 93R17-FVSS

you must be mounting a scope with an adjustable objective,,, had the same thing happen myself, any time you have an adjustable objective you have to use the next higher mounts. congrats on the new .17, just shot mine for the first time today,, accuracy!!!
Old 02-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Bowhunter elite. No it doesn't have a adjustable objective.I'm almost ashamed to tell what scope it is.It's a Tasco "World Class" 3x9x40mm.It was on a used Knight Disc I picked up a few years back.I figured it would be good enough to use on that Savage.Looking through it yesterday afternoon it looks real clear . If it holds it's zero remains to be seen.I just thought I would ask about this minor problem.I want to try this Savage out soon. I should have the other rings by mid week.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-15-2004, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ruger-Redhawk

I ordered a set of Weaver Medium rings.The scope objective rests on the barrel. Do you need to go the next step up height wise with Weaver style rings? Ruger Redhawk
It would seem so, at least with that rifle! Real Weaver mounts are plenty strong! My objection to them is with the ring screws only on one side, it is difficult to tighten them down without the scope rotating as the ring snugs down. This makes it a real challenge trying to keep your reticle level when using these rings. Actually, it's a pain!!

I'm with you on the Millett rings. They're a lot easier to install and adjust properly, and are also very strong! Plus being better looking than Weaver rings.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Eldeguello,I knew going to higher rings would solve the problem. What thru me off was I've always used Medium rings for a 40mm scope.I guess that beefed up receiver made the small difference.I know what you mean about the Weavers with the screws only on one side. I had the scope lined up correctly .After I tightened it down the scope was canted way off.The Millet Angle-Lok should prove to be better then the Weavers.I do appreciate your .02.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-16-2004, 11:06 AM

ruger dont be ashamed of that tasco,, bought one myself-used for 50$$ and i'm pretty impressed with it and my savage .17---1st time out shot 1/4" groups off the top of my backpack at 100 yds!
Old 02-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

No problem B.H.E.. I have a old Tasco that been around since Mobey Dick was a minnow.It hasn't been on a rifle for years.It never did give me a problem way back.We were doing a job at the Tasco's facility. While I was working there I had them go through it and replace all the seals. Fringe benefit I guess you could say. The reason I said almost ashamed to admit having a Tasco is all I've heard about the newer Tasco's has been negitive.Before all I would buy were Redfields. After they went belly up I switched to Leupolds.This World Class might turn out to be a decent scope I don't know.It's clear enough. Nothing ventured nothing gained.I'll give it a try.For what I got that Knight Disc rifle for with this scope I sure don't have much in this scope.Thanks for your concern.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I received my Millet Angle Lok rings yesterday. I installed the scope this afternoon.It worked out well. There is a big difference between the Weaver rings and the Millets. The Millet are allot better ring for about 4.00 more.Installing the Weaver's I had the scope leveled up. As I tightened the rings up the scope rotated.The Millets has screws on both sides. I tightened them back and forth,the scope never rotated the least little bit.Anybody going to use the Weaver bases I recommend these Millet Angle Loks over the Weaver rings..
Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-20-2004, 07:49 AM

I'm a big fan of Weaver style bases, just not their rings. I use Weaver bases with Millet or Burris rings on almost all my rifles.