Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Why doesn't my son want to use his new BB gun? >

Why doesn't my son want to use his new BB gun?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why doesn't my son want to use his new BB gun?

Old 01-30-2004, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why doesn't my son want to use his new BB gun?

My son is 10, soon to be 11. Got him his first gun for Christmas - a Daisy Buckmasters BB gun. When he opened it, he didn't seem that excited (it's easy to tell with a kid this age). He liked it, but not that much I don't think anyway. I haven't said a thing to him since Christmas and he hasn't asked to use it yet. I'm kind of waiting. I really don't think I'm forcing it on him because he is very interested in hunting and loves his bow and asks all the time if we can shoot the bows. I had my first BB gun when I was 8 and went through billions of BBs. Shot it constantly all year round. I'm worried he hasn't taken to guns and hunting like I did when I was his age. The last thing I want to do is force anything on the boy. Am I worried for nothing? Is this a bad sign? Thanks for any input.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why doesn't my son want to use his new BB gun?

Sounds to me like you need to beat some sense into that boy!

KIDDING! Of course! [>:]

Maybe shooting just isn't his thing. When my younger brother and I were growing up we had equal shooting and hunting opportunities, but in the end I took to hunting and shooting Patrick took to fishing. Now he can tell you what lure works best on a certain day of the year, but couldn't tell you the difference between a .223Rem and a 7mmMag without looking at the headstamps. Shooting just wasn't his cup of tea.

Don't know what else to tell you. Maybe he'll come around in time.

Mike
Old 01-30-2004, 09:32 PM

Looks like an archery hunter to me.

I don't know what to tell ya. My dad gave me a BB gun when I was 8, and I shot that thing every day. I think what helped was that he paid us to protect the cherry trees. Kept us busy for hours daily.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:31 PM

How about you try shooting it and maybe he will see you and get jelouse. ...Hey, it woorks with 4 year olds. Go figure.

Maybe he was expecting a new bow.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why don't both of you enroll in a hunter saftey course, that will get the hunter's blood boiling. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:09 PM

In today's society there are all sorts of subtle "brainwashing" techniques going on designed to teach kids that guns are "evil". I wouldn't be at all suprised to find out that he's been exposed to some of this anti-gun crap at school. It's all over the place and the gun control nuts know that the way to win in the end is to get their twisted message embedded into the minds of our children. In thirty years they will be running things and if they already come with a built in aversion to guns then the anti-gunners will have won. He might already have some pre-conceived notion from school that he shouldn't be touching a gun.

I'd make some suggestions along the lines of "why don't you bring your new BB gun outside, daddy'll show you how to shoot it". Make teaching him how to shoot a fun experience for the both of you. Quality time with Dad and all that.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:57 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you need to spend more time with him shooting. Almost 11 is a bit late for a first gun, and a BB gun at that. He may see it as an insult. That you still see him as a little kid. At 11 I was shooting a 12 ga., as was my son at that age. You should at least be out busting clays with a 20 ga. with him by now. Plinking with a 22 and occasionally letting him shoot a big rifle.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: boltman

In today's society there are all sorts of subtle "brainwashing" techniques going on designed to teach kids that guns are "evil". I wouldn't be at all suprised to find out that he's been exposed to some of this anti-gun crap at school. It's all over the place and the gun control nuts know that the way to win in the end is to get their twisted message embedded into the minds of our children. In thirty years they will be running things and if they already come with a built in aversion to guns then the anti-gunners will have won. He might already have some pre-conceived notion from school that he shouldn't be touching a gun.

I think Boltman has hit the nail on the head here.The poor kid has probably been brainwashed and scared to touch a gun.I also agree 11 years old and getting a BB gun is a little old. I think a nice 22 would have been a little better choice. Then again you know your son and know what was appropriate for him.Hope you can break the ice and getting him interested in the great sport of shooting.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-31-2004, 05:27 PM
Spike

I guess I was around 11 when I got my first bb gun. I had a bow before that and shot it alot. We lived near a city and all the houses were pretty close together so I think that's why my folks waited so long before getting me that first bb gun. Maybe you are in the same situation?

I think the others were right about the brainwashing thing too. And alot depends on what his friends are into. If they don't think shooting is cool then he probably doesn't want to seem like an outsider.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:51 PM

Take him out shooting with his BB gun and show some excitement when you do. Not wanting to push your son into something until he is ready can be a double edged sword. My 10 year old son plays off my interests in almost everything. I like baseball, he loves baseball. I love football, he's totally nuts about football. My guess is that your son isn't excited because you don't act excited.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.