Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 5 mm remington >

5 mm remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

5 mm remington

Old 01-30-2004, 01:57 PM
jed
Fork Horn

Default 5 mm remington

MY neighbor is getting on and doesn't shoot much anymore however he still has a model 591 he likes to carry around the property. I am sure I could keep him shooting if I can find some ammo for him. Does anyone know of a source for the 5 mm rimfire magnum ammo? Huge thanks to anyone who may have a lead. Jed
PS... I already tried Dangerous Dave at the old west scrounger. Thanks again
Old 01-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 5 mm remington

I have only seen the 5mm remington rimfire at gun shows and pretty expensive more of a collector item. These were not very popular and discontinued. There may have been limited prodution runs at times. I could be wrong here but this is what i remember.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The last 5mm Remington ammunition I saw was very pricey.I haven't seen any in ages.Awhile back there was company making a conversion for the 5mm. They sold the brass,dies and bullets. These cases used a primer.It was expensive for the conversion kit and the components weren't cheap either.I read about it on this forum but it's been along time ago.I think if I'm not mistaken it was on the Reloading forum.You might post in that forum. It might reapear if asked there.I can't remember the name of the company...........Good luck in your search.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend mine has a 5mm and last summer we had to go onto gunbroker.com to find any ammo for it. Drawback is that you need someone with a FFL to get it shipped
Old 01-30-2004, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

My Dad has about 7 boxes.. I think he pd about $50 a box .. He has the tube feed model and I have the clip model .. But I have no shells and he's not parting with any .. I guess I will get them sooner or later .. I remember shooting that gun when I was young, I would buy a box of shell for $6 and shoot for the weekend.. It was a big step from my .22. I guess I was about 12 when I bought a .22 mag and took the scope off the 5mm and used it on the .22 mag, nobody has shot the 5mm since then (25yrs) It's a shame as that is a fine cal. I would rather that then the .17 that is hot now..
PS. I bought my dad a Ruger .17 last year to make up for taking the scope off the 5mm
Old 01-30-2004, 07:35 PM
DM

I've had a few 5mm mags over the years, and still have a tube feed model i converted to left hand. I think i still have 25 or 30 boxes of ammo around for it too, and no i won't sell any ammo.

The 5mm's i've owned and shot have been excelent shooters, and the round kills all out of porportion to it's size!!! I've always said it was because of the "excelent" bullet design, and still feel that way today!!! I'd sure like to see someone make a run of ammo for them again!!!!!

Drilling Man
Old 01-30-2004, 09:27 PM

Drawback is that you need someone with a FFL to get it shipped
No, you don't. That WAS the law under GCA 68, but it was changed almost 20 years ago! You can have ammunition shipped directly to you with ID.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, you don't. That WAS the law under GCA 68, but it was changed almost 20 years ago! You can have ammunition shipped directly to you with ID.
Now that really pisses me off. The guy would't ship without a FFL so we had to pay a 3rd party to recieve it
Old 01-31-2004, 01:54 PM
jed
Fork Horn

Thanks guys The rifle could be converted to the 5mm craig, which is a 5mm centerfire. I think the company that does it is called Certes (Spelling?) They sell the brass and the dies as well as bullets and either a new bolt or bolt face. I will see what I can find on gunbroker.com. Jed
Old 01-31-2004, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jed...I had one, and sold it when the 17HMR was first coming out. They're similar, except for the slightly larger bullet that the 5mm shoots. I think I was shooting 34gr hollow points.

For the price of 5-6 boxes of shells, you can buy a nice 17 and a pretty good piece of glass for it. Last I bought shells, they were $62/box.

Quick Reply: 5 mm remington

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.