Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Leupold VX-III >

Leupold VX-III

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Leupold VX-III

Old 01-23-2004, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Leupold VX-III

Has any body looked through a Leupold VX-III yet, and how do you rate it? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:37 AM

Default RE: Leupold VX-III

I looked through my friends on Saturday. He has the 5.5-14.5x50 version I believe. Unbelievable scope, I will have one on my 7mmRUM unless one of the Nikons really impresses me.

Timba
Old 01-26-2004, 05:58 PM

i looked through a 1.75-6X32mm and was unbalevable. except the price tag
Old 01-27-2004, 04:34 AM

Hi handloader1,

I have owned and looked through quite a few Leupold Vari-X III's. I currently own a 1.5 X 5 X 20 that is on my .350 Remington Magnum. It is not only bright, clear, and adjust precisely.....but it's size was made to order for my Model 673. In the past I have owned two other 1.5 X 5 X 20's. One on a Sako Mannlicher in .375 H&H.....and one on a Winchester 70 .375 H&H. The Vari-X III's in addition to their optical quality have an abundance of "eye relief".......a very good thing on heavy recoiling rifles. I owned a Vari-X III in 2.5 X 8 that was mounted on a stainless steel Ruger chambered in .338 Winchester Magnum....and another 2.5 X 8 on a Winchester 70 chambered for .338 Winchester Magnum. Somewhere down the line their may have been another one or two in there somewhere.....I believe I had one on a .35 Whelen...(getting old is tough on the memory....or maybe just too many guns over the years)!

I also have owned a vast quantities of Vari-X II's and found them to be very good scopes.....though the Vari-X III's are typically optically brighter. I have always been more than happy with the performance of my Vari-X III's. (I have over a period of 30 years or so had to return two Vari-X II's to the factory and to Leupold's credit...they resolved the problems and returned the scopes to me very quickly. I have never had to return a Vari-X III.....inspite of them all being on heavier calibers.) And the only way I have found to increase the performance of scopes in my experience is by "jumping to some of the European manufacturers.....usually at double or more the costs".

I have been very pleased with my Vari-X III's and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone!

Good luck with your decision!