Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 how many coats? >

how many coats?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

how many coats?

Old 01-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default how many coats?

how many coats of clear do you guys put over your truoil finishes??? im going to completely fill the grain with tru oil....but how many clears? just one coat? i talked to a guy that does beautiful stock work and he said he fills the grain with tru oil but i forgot to ask about clear.....what do you guys use? thanx alot....a few hours i will be ready to about finish it up
Old 01-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: how many coats?

None!!!!!!

Fill all of the grain then do hand rubs with very small dabs of oil. Rub the oil into the wood with the palm of your hand until it gets good and warm. This will produce a beautiful and durable finish. You will know when to stop with the hand rub.

Leave that spray on clear coat crap on the shelf where it belongs.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

rub it with my hands?!?! im using a cloth now...i think i just put the last coat an an hour ago....i guess i dont want clear anyways...thats the reason i refinished the stock....thats all that was on the stock was about 20 layers of crappy clear coat....took 2 doses or remover that burned my hands even if a drop got on it and still wasnt fully removed...i sanded the rest off....ill see how it looks in an hour or 2....should i steel wool it after the last coat or just leave it be?? i think i shouldnt steel wool it...but not sure...i tried to make sure i had no runs and got the oil into the wood the last time...and went with the grain perfectly so it should be a really good coat....thanx alot....
Old 01-17-2004, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use 0000 steel wool after the final coat has dried and rub the stock moderately. If you don't like the result apply another light coat of true oil and this timwe when the final coat dries, using felt and fine pumise rub the stock down and see if you like the effect. You might just wind up rubbing the stock with a soft cottom and briskly ...it's all up to you. But look critically to insure that all the pores of the wood are filled. If you hold the wood to the light the unfilled pores will glisten at you...they must be filled in order to have a good finish. I've applied as many as 19 coats of truoil to get that done.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, after you have done all of the initial wet sanding with the tru oil and all of the pores filled in completely let it dry over night (24 hours) then come back the next day and dab very small ammounts of oil on your finger and apply it to the stock, rub it with the palm of your hand, instead of a cloth, until it disappears into the stock. Replenish the dabs of oil as needed but try to make it go as far as you can. It will get warm and that's good. It maybe even get hot if you are rubbing to hard. Believe it or not this produces a very lustrous and richly deep finish to wooden stocks.

I reccomend against useing steel wool on a wooden stock. The steel fibers tend to break off of the pad and imbed themselves into your wood.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

kinda late now.....i posted a topic on how to finish one and got no details so i followed directions that came with the gun refinishing kit i bought....oh well...it looks perdy to me....and the other guys ive shown so far...another coat or 2 tomarow and it should be done....ill have to see what i do about the last coat....thanx alot guys...ill print this and use it next time....i think i might do my 22 next....its stock looks a little plain...and i know theres nice wood underneath....but i dont know if i can do the checkering....ill sand it and ruin it.....