Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

30-06

Old 01-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default 30-06

ive got a model 700 semi auto 30-06 an i wanna use it so wat bullets do u shoot in yours what do you shoot with it wat kinda a scope is on it when you shoot deer with it do they run an run an run cause i seen a guy break both front shoulders on a deer with it an it ran an ran they never ran once with me an the 243 which giot http://www.whitetails.com/art354.html that deer an i like the 243 but it just seems it is a little gun so i wanna use the 30 . 06 any info on this will help me lots thanx
Old 01-17-2004, 10:35 AM

Default RE: 30-06

i have a browning a bolt II with a nikon buckmasters 3-9 x 40 scope on it; generally shoot 150 grain winchesters out of it; never shot a deer with it since we cant use rifles in illinois, but from what i understand it is very deadly when used on whitetails
Old 01-17-2004, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

i seen a guy break both front shoulders on a deer with it an it ran an ran
Both front shoulders may have been hit but are you sure that both were broken?If it really had two broken front shoulders it would have had to run on it's hind legs.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

I doubt that both shoulders were broke or it would not be able to run. The 30-06 is probably one of the best all around calibers that you can get.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:56 AM

As stated above, a deer shot thru the shoulders (which would usually break same shoulders) would have a very hard time running off any distance. I can understand shooting dangerous game thru the shoulders, but never a deer. It ruins too much meat. Regarding your bullets for the 06, try a 165 gr Winchester Ballistic Tip (or the 168gr I always use). The BT is an excellent bullet and will kill a deer every time if you shoot it thru the lungs. Perhaps you might consider getting some of the ammo manufacturers brochures which are readily available from some sporting goods stores. In those you will find ballistic tables, which tell you what type of game specific bullets are designed for and their velocity and energy stats. Using these table, you can decide on 2 or 3 types you want to test. You should try several types to find the brand and weight YOUR rifle shoots the best. There are many great bullets on the market designed specifically for deer sized game and perhaps others will come on and offer their preferences. The 06 is a great caliber and it will do wonderful things provided you do your part.
Good Hunting,
Hal
Old 01-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have to wonder why you want to use something else when your 243 and load has produced such great results. If it ain't broke why fix it just comes to mind!

The 06 with 150-165 gr bullet will work well on deer. Like mentioned if you want to try then do some research and pick up a few brands/styles to try. Just let the gun tell you which is the best combo to use. Personally I like Ballistic Tips or Boattail bullets, these bullets usually offer great accuracy and work well on deer sized game. All major manufacturer's have ballistic tables and info on their websites.

I agree if the front shoulders were both broke the deer would make it to far, impossible to run with no front wheels.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckmastr229ive got a model 700 semi auto 30-06 an i wanna use it so wat bullets do u shoot in yours what do you shoot with it wat kinda a scope is on it when you shoot deer with it do they run an run an run cause i seen a guy break both front shoulders on a deer with it an it ran an ran they never ran once with me an the 243 which giot http://www.whitetails.com/art354.html that deer an i like the 243 but it just seems it is a little gun so i wanna use the 30 . 06 any info on this will help me lots thanx
"Buckmastr"??? HAR HAR HAR!!!
Old 01-17-2004, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

[quote]Buckmastr"??? HAR HAR HAR!!! YUP BUCKMASTR YOu read it just fine
Old 01-17-2004, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

well, i use Rem 150 gr. Core-lokt PSP. First of all, because it's what I've been shooting since I can remember and I've never had any trouble with it. Second, because its cheap and I go through a box a season. If I had to pick a bullet that I have seen perform well it would be Winchester ballistic silvertips 168 gr. I've had exit holes when shooting deer in the shoulder the size of softballs so it does perform. One doe I got this year, the bullet never entered the ribcage, it just blew throught the bottom of the brisket. I don't know how I killed that deer but it only ran 20 yards... it works miracles for me, my dad, and granddad. I've seen sooo many deer killed by one i don't know what else there is. the best would have been when my dad killed 3 deer with two shots at 300 yards.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still curious where he got a model 700 semi?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.