Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

S&W 500

Old 01-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Spike

Default S&W 500

What do you think about the gun writers that say the S&W 500 with it 2600 muzzle energy it capable killing anything in North America,but in next month's issue they will say that that a 270,30-06(both have much more muzzle energy than the S&W 500 and tons more down range enery) is too small to feel safe with in big bear country?If a griz were bearing down on me I would feel much better with my 270 or 30-06.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: S&W 500

Yeah, it's real funny how many of the same people will advocate nothing short of a 300 magnum, of some sort, as a bare minimum for hunting elk and moose and then the next day a hand gun is prerfectly acceptable and more gun than is needed. I can't figure it out either.

All of the power and big bullets in the world will do nothing if the bullet doesn't go where it needs to go. Too many people do not get this first basic rule of hunting and shooting.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-16-2004, 05:41 PM
DM

It's really all about bullet performance, NOT caliber, and dam sure NOT all about high velocity!!!

A 500 S&W is a lot more gun than, say a 270 with too light a bullet for the big bears. I'm NOT saying anything against the 270 though!!

I've shot big bears, good penetration is more important than high velocity and high energy!! A good bullet with a good SD is needed above all else, (assumeing at least a decent cal.) that is "if" you want to break heavy bone!! That's something high velocity bullets don't do as well. This may be why one writer recomends one cal. that another doesn't!!!

With the RIGHT bullets, and close ranges, i wouldn't have a problem hunting big bears with a 30-06, or better yet a 7mm mag with 175 grain premium bullets. I did shoot one with a .264 win. mag. though.

Drilling Man
Old 01-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DMIt's really all about bullet performance, NOT caliber, and dam sure NOT all about high velocity!!!

A 500 S&W is a lot more gun than, say a 270 with too light a bullet for the big bears. I'm NOT saying anything against the 270 though!!

I've shot big bears, good penetration is more important than high velocity and high energy!! A good bullet with a good SD is needed above all else, (assumeing at least a decent cal.) that is "if" you want to break heavy bone!! That's something high velocity bullets don't do as well. This may be why one writer recomends one cal. that another doesn't!!!

With the RIGHT bullets, and close ranges, i wouldn't have a problem hunting big bears with a 30-06, or better yet a 7mm mag with 175 grain premium bullets. I did shoot one with a .264 win. mag. though. Drilling Man

You make several good, valid points here, D.M. Whenever I hunted in Alaska with my .270 Win., I ALWAYS carried ammo loaded with either 150 or 160-grain Nosler Partition bullets. This was in the days before the other premiums!