Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Offseason projects? >

Offseason projects?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Offseason projects?

Old 01-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Offseason projects?

Well, I've got 9 days of duck season left, and I can deer hunt with my bow until the end of the month so that gives me a few more days. So I'm starting to think about offseason projects to get ready for next year. I've already started on my encore rifle forend, but between the sporting clays shoots, looking for a new duck lease, and the twin girls my wife and I are expecting in April, I should be pretty busy. I guess my question is this: what kind of off season projects are you guys planning on doing, work up pet loads, work on your wingshooting, building a custom rifle let's hear it?
Old 01-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Offseason projects?

Restock my 444 marlin with some nice feathered croch wood. Maybe build a 35 whelen. Rebarrel a rifle for a friend. Shoot my new rifle as much as possible. Get stocked up for next season.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-16-2004, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

GG, congrats on the new twins!
As I said, I'm going to work up my confidence with my Ruger .44 SRH.
Other than that I have one or two new hunting setups to cultivate. We had a lots of stand moving and clearing to do this past year, so I hope I don't have too much of that for next season!
It looks like the timber company is doing most of my work for me this time though, so all I should have to do is move two stands!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Fork Horn

I am in the process of refinishing the stock on a Savage 30-30 pump, which soo far looks extremely good with a very light finish. It is a very sweet handling gun, and hopefully will look gorgeous when I am done. Other then that I am sure I will have some new gun aquisitions in which I will have to shoot. I think a Savage 99 in .300 is at the top of my list along with a Remington 788 in 7mm-08. Have a good offseason guys.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:50 PM

Gun wise, I have a Contender forend to finish, a 17K Hornet to review, a Ruger #1 I have to decide what to rebarrel to and I'm leaning toward the new 6.8 rem aka 270x30Rem. but think I may use the 30-30 case instead because of the rim.
ALWAYS have ammo to load. but right now I can't see my bench for all the crap on it as I'm putting the finishing touches on an addition I made last summer, once its done I can shovel out the shop and get back to the serious business of loading and shooting.

All in all I probably have enough off season projects to run me to the next off season
Old 01-17-2004, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

a bigtime makeover for my tc 50cal hawken flintlock....sending hte lock to tc to get tuned up....refinishing the stock...putting on a sling....fiberoptic sights...new touchhole liner....only thing im not redoing is the barrel...the woodworks almost done...2 hours i can apply my clear coats and it looks great so far...im impressed with myself....then ill drill for the sling....then next week the sights should be in.....cant wait to shoot it now....i also polished all the brass so its a yellow mirror now....its going to be a great looking and shooting gun when im done.....
Old 01-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

First and foremost is for me to find a job.

Secondly, to become familiar with the farm that I will be hutning this deer season and to help them as often as I can around the farm.

Thirdly, to chose several locations to put up my stands.

Fourthly, to take up walking to try to get my legs and cardio back up to par after my surgery.

Fifthly, to do some work around the house this summer.

Matt
Old 01-17-2004, 03:43 PM

Finish last years project, Sporterize my M44 M-N. Started, but never got done. Also got about 3000 clays shells to reload and a bunch of rifle for a p-dog hunt!
Old 01-17-2004, 08:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a few new guns to work up loads for. New Savage scout in 7MM-08 and a new 260. My big job is to get a cabin built on my Farmstead before next deer season.