Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 JB Bore Paste????? >

JB Bore Paste?????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

JB Bore Paste?????

Old 01-15-2004, 02:20 PM

Default JB Bore Paste?????

I just purchased a new rifle 2 days ago in NEF. ( a 7mm-08 rem.) I broke it down the first night home and have not shot it yet. I did a barrel breakin on my 30-06 when it was new and it is my go to gun. It is always extremely accurate and consistently that way. Sub MOA. Is that because of the break in procedure? Who really knows? I did the shoot 1, clean 1 routine to 10 shots, then went to shoot 3 shots and clean for 3 cycles and two cycles of shoot 5 and clean. Then shot it as normal.
My ..308win. was purchased new and it dated in the 70's so I don't know if it was broke in or not, but this rifle is a tack driver. It has shot 10 shot groups inside 1 1/2 inches on some occasions but averages 1 MOA.
I was told to use JB Bore cleaner for polishing the bore as you break it in. I was told that JB Bore was a non abrasive. Is this true? And what do you all recommned for breaking in if I am going to? I know many would say don't bother , however , I am one of those annal like people when it comes to details so I want to break my 7mm-08 in. Just want to know whether to use JB Bore? Wanting to make sure it wont hurt the bore or leave and residue that would pit my bore or any other damage. Thank.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:29 PM

Default RE: JB Bore Paste?????

JB bore paste actually works by being an abrasive. So yes it's abrasive, but not to the point of being harmful for your barrel. I don't follow break-in methods, but I do use JB for heavy duty cleaning jobs like removing built up lead or in an effort to clean neglected barrels. It's great stuff.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:38 PM

Not an expert on JB Bore Paste, as I've only used it once. I used the Bore Bright and Polish versions to help clean a really badly copper fouled rifle barrel recently.

In my opinion it worked well, there was an obvious smoothness in running patches through the barrel after using it. To remove copper? I still think Barnes CR-10 worked better but using the paste definitely reduced the total time to get all the copper out.

I didn't notice any harm to the barrel, but again I do not have a bore scope to be 100% sure.

Old 01-15-2004, 02:46 PM

I was curious of this also, How does the Flitz users make out using it for the purpose of breaking in a barrel or getting it copper free?
Lastly, how do you make sure to get all the paste a Flitz or others like them out of the bore completely when finished and if it is a solvent which one is most thourough without being harmful to the bore. I am apprehensive to use ammonia based products because of horror stories I have heard. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

For me, Flitz & J-B's are interchangeable. I've used both and never had a problem using them. I don't use them every cleaning, just once or twice a year, or if I notice accuracy going away a little. I did use it to help break-in a black powder pistol - gave excellent results.

as far as getting all the residue out.......I work several clean patches through the bore following the application patches (patches wrapped around a brush are great for using the pastes), then I run several wet patches with my standard solvent through to make sure everything is clean & clear. Patch dry and you're good to go
Old 01-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

When i got my new rifle, 270wsm. I done lots of searching for several months. Theres no proof it works, no proof it doesnt work either. But i found some people who just take j-b bore paste and give a new rifle 200 strokes with a cleaning jag (new patch every 50). Then take it to the range and shoot it. I did this and my gun shoots very well, not sure it did or didnt help.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:34 PM

Varmit Al's is the site to get the low down. I was surfing around on this site last night and read about just this topic!
Old 01-15-2004, 10:32 PM

The main reason you break in a new barrel is to make it easier to clean. If there is any improvement in accuracy, it's nearly impossible to measure. That said, if you are talking about hunting rifles that get cleaned a couple of times a year, it's not worth it to break them in.

On the other hand, if you have varmint rifles that might get cleaned ten times in an afternoon's shooting, it is worth doing. You can break in any barrel at any time as you are just smoothing out the tiny rough spots in the barrel by shooting thru a clean barrel. Let me know if you are interested and I'll email you instructions. Good luck
Old 01-15-2004, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used it both to lap the barrel in my 22-250, and to deep clean and recondition the barrel of my Knight DISC.

I found that the end result of lapping the 22-250 barrel (Ruger M77VT MkII) was that patches went through noticibly smoother, and bore cleaning is an easy 5 minute process that rarily requires the use of a bore brush. Just a couple solvent patches, wait a couple minutes, and then dry patches until they come out clean. Further cleaning does not yield any further fouling. There is also no significant copper buildup in the bore, even shooting 45 grain loads that I clocked with my Chrony at a mean of 4065fps at 15ft.

I also decided to try it on my muzzleloaders barrel when I started to see accuracy degrade and become erratic with seemingly no cause with already proven loads. I thought that maybe my scope was dead, so I got a new one, but that didn't help. I've always thought that soap 'n' water cleaning did a thourough enough job, and I could see no visible fouling in the bore after cleaning, but I decided to go ahead and lap it with JB Bore Paste anyway. Apparently a fouled barrel was the culprit, because the next trip to the range I was seeing the same accuracy I had had before.

I think it's good stuff myself. And I don't think that it damages a barrel in any way. The stuff is mildly abrasive, by I don't think that the abrasive compounds are anywhere near hard enough to do anything more than clean out soft deposits and polish the bore at the microscopic level.

Mike
Old 01-17-2004, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use JB's every time I clean my rifles, and it has increased my accuracy. Good luck.

Quick Reply: JB Bore Paste?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.