Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 2004 Hunting Resolution! >

2004 Hunting Resolution!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

2004 Hunting Resolution!

Old 01-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 2004 Hunting Resolution!

Three years ago I bought a Ruger Super Redhawk, .44 magnum with a 7 1/2 inch barrel and 2X scope. I have shot it some, but have not been comfortable enough to hunt with it yet!
I have a couple of hunting areas that will be great shorter range hundgun setups!
My hunting resolution for 2004 is to PRACTICE enough with it this year to use it as my gun of choice next season.
I am now shooting Remington 240 gr. SJHP's! is this a good hunting load in my Ruger, for whitetail? I want to practice with the loads that I'll be hunting with! Thanks for helping!
Old 01-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2004 Hunting Resolution!

Another question, if I can do my part, what is a REASONABLE range that the RSRH W/7-1/2 bl. and 2X scope capable of?
Old 01-15-2004, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Factory 240 grainers should be fine, I had really good results with the Winchester 250 grain Partition golds from my Ruger SBH, I also used the Cor@Bon 260 grain Bonded Core HP's (which in truth is more than is necessary). The Winchester's I feel good about out to 100 yards, the Cor@Bon's should give you another 25 yards or so of usable trajectory. With a 2x scope I'd say limit yourself to a 100 yard shot, and practice and you'll be in good shape for any whitetail that comes along. One other bit of advice, getting a rest (portable monopod, or stand mounted shooting rest) will be the best thing you can do for handgun hunting, it will save you a lot of time and frustration. Watch out though you might get hooked on the short-barrel stuff and the next thing you know you'll be pricing a TC Encore.

Gordon
Old 01-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Gordon, I aready want the TC, I shot one at the range a while back in 7MM-08! It was a great shooting piece. I have added it to my long wish list!
Thanks again!