Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .308's Killing Power as Perceived My Me >

.308's Killing Power as Perceived My Me

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.308's Killing Power as Perceived My Me

Old 01-16-2004, 09:47 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: .308's Killing Power as Perceived My Me

Ah bullcrap. Nobody on here has a right to police anyone. I see people talking about running deer with dogs and everything else from driving deer, and I don't point my finger at these guys. I don't see them as ethical but could care less as long as they don't mess with my hunting. But I have to judge myself. It ain't none of my business that some prefer this type of hunting.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:02 AM

To Akbound and others,
No my sincerity is not tongue in cheek or whatever analogy you used. I am honestly sincere. I am not one to play games or on the feelings of others. I have nothing to gain by doing that here because I never have to look you all in the face. It would be easier to lash back knowing this fact. However, I did choose to respond back in sincerity hoping to calm other people and this post. I agree with you on GG. and when I read his post it come across to me in a constructive way, not a bashing way. Your post did come across in a bashing way along with some others. Thanks GG for the tactful constructive critisism. It was received well.
I know alot of you have some ill feelings that a 40 year old man could behave irresponsibly. I could see it also if they had hunted all their lives, however, my father never took me hunting and it was not till later in life that I took hunting up so therefore even though I may be in my 40's, hunting is still new and fresh to me and I am learning. I will learn to control these impulses, but at the time the incident happened that you all have been posting on, I was no different than a new teenager that had been introduced to and new to hunting. Again, I am sorry sincerely and I will walk away if your desire is for me to. I harbor no ill feelings towards anyone and will respect your desires. The last thing I ever intended was to give this board a bad image and if I have helped to do so I am sorry again. I am a no nonsense guy that does not beat around the bush with issues of life. I play no games and I am an honest person so you can trust me to do what your desires would be concerning using this board or not. Thank you all for your patience and information.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:11 AM

Hi bigcountry,

If in fact a law was violated...it goes beyond just "personal beliefs" about methods or traditions. I'm not pointing my finger at anyone. I made a point of NOT be judgemental. But you can't ride on both sides of the fence. Either you're for obeying game laws....or not. (I never once in my earlier post mentioned a thing about "hunting traditions" specific to one area or another!)

And you are right....I wouldn't judge you. But if I ever caught you "breaking the law".....I'll report you! And that is the same thing I'd tell anyone!
Old 01-16-2004, 11:01 AM

akbound, you and I are on the same "train of thought." You put thoughts to words, very well. And, I also commend, not condemn, GG. He did the right thing even if some felt that it was harsh. I think that prison is harsh, but it's also needed in society.

Bigcountry,
You are comparing apples to oranges in my opinion. Reason; What huntsalotey admitted to was against the law. Driving deer and/or using dogs is legal in some areas. Poaching isn't legal anywhere.

Huntsalotey,
Welcome to the forum, I hope that I can help you sometime, and good luck hunting.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:23 AM

To Akbound,
I owe you an apology. I attributed some of my remarks as yours when in reality looking back it was others that said them. I do this openly for the whole board to see and know. However, on page 2 of the post you did get critical and that after the fact that I had made a formal apology to all.

To GG and Mainehunter,
You all are the main ones that started the bashing as if you all are perfect and trained in all ethics and morals of hunting. You never even give me any type of recognition as Akbound did on my apology, yet you continued to draw light to the negative. In my book that makes guys like you the type that gives hunting a bad name. It is a shame that you feel you have to continually draw attention to the negatives when it comes to hunting and such! Furthermore, to disregard my apology and offer to leave the board and instead of asking me to do so and leaving it at that, you still continued to harp and bash on the negative issues at my expense. You need to rethink your maturity in handling matters and working to restitute conflict instead of letting it get out of hand. I tried to make restoration for my wrong, but you all and others turn your head to me and seem to not know what forgiveness is about. Forgiveness does not mean that you look over something, rather that you see one who has learned from their mistakes and has made a change in the way they will go in the future and has desired that those offended would see their efforts and understand them willing to put it behind all. That is forgiveness. I imagine that you probably have the same problem in your relationships with others and until you learn what forgiveness is, you will continue to have issues always come back around in your friendships and relationships.
Again, Big Country, thank you for understanding and not being critical of me knowing that everyone makes mistakes. Good Hunting.

To the board, I imagined that you being fellow hunters would appreciate honesty, but there seems to be some of you that would rather me be a liar and never reveal truths that others can learn from.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Huntsalotey, I apologize for not being able to post sooner. I felt that your apology was heartfelt and appropriate. Yes, we all make mistakes and sometimes those mistakes cross the lines of legality. On the other hand, if I do something or post about doing something that is unethical or illegal, I would expect to be called on it (not persecuted mind you but called on it never the less). I have never wished you to leave the board, and if you'll re-read my initial post you'll note that I "don't want to drive you away". My remarks were inteded as you said to be
tactful constructive critisism
and I didn't intend to judge the person, merely condemn the acts. I think in truth, that most of the others were responding in the same manner as well. I have no problem forgiving you, but in my mind you don't need my forgiveness, you have expressed regret and remorse and to me that speaks volumes in your favor. I would like to let bygones be bygones and put this one to rest, I have voiced my opinion and I stand by my statements, I have nothing further to add on that subject.

Also as one final bit of goodwill, I will try to respond to your original question: I really believe that the only difference in a 30-06 and 308 are on the ballistics charts. In the real world there isn't any difference. I think that you have experienced what every seasoned hunter experiences, they don't all fall in their tracks no matter what you hit them with. I, like Mainehunt, hope that I can be helpful to you in the future and hope you enjoy your time on this message board.

Gordon
Old 01-16-2004, 01:57 PM

GordonGekko,
Thank you very much for your explaination. It really helped me to clear things up. I was under the impression that you and others was not really hearing me and knowing my sincerety in my apology rather that it was just words and therefore constituted the continual criticism. I am clear on that now. Thank you again.
As another word of thought, I want to express my amazement of this board to come together and work things out. Not just on this board, but in life, people tend not to work through things to better situations and on this board that is an evident thing that prevailed in this matter. It does not erase my fault, but rather looks ahead for better things. I want to commend the board and all those that are apart of it for having a true attitude to help and work through situations that are difficult and resolve them. Most other boards it would end up in a perpetual fight that would see many members leave. This board truly shows the attitude of true hunting brotherhood. Thank you all for your understanding and our moving ahead to better things. Good Hunting.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

This board truly shows the attitude of true hunting brotherhood.
I couldn't agree more!

Gordon
Old 01-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I too believe that this board shows the true brotherhood of hunters!
Huntsalotey, I think that you are truely sincere in your apology. I am trying to really condemn the crime, and not you as a person.
I think that this has gone on as far as it has because of some confusion of what one's particular hunting style or personal ethics is, and what is actually illegal! You have admitted to, and apologized for an illegal act, most of us here have tried our best to "police our own", and we go on from there!
Three things I have tried to convey lately is that one, there is a difference between hunting and poaching. Two there is a difference between what is a hunting "style" and an illegal act, and third that we need to show the non-hunters that we do not condone anything other than legal hunting, and we will police our own!
That, I feel that we have done here, and this thread can be laid to rest now!
Lots of good things to share on this board, so heres to the future of our board and our sport!
Frank
Old 01-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: .308's Killing Power as Perceived My Me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.