Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

9mm Ruger?

Old 01-05-2004, 10:41 PM

Default 9mm Ruger?

I am looking around for a 9 mm ruger handgun to go target shooting.. Is there any good handguns taht i can use for target shooting?

I am a woman. Do you have any suggestions of waht kind of handguns i should look at?

i am keeping a open mind!

I am very curious about what you like the most and why?

I am also looking for a handgun for target and protection.. any suggestions? I am glad to hear ur opioions.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 9mm Ruger?

The Ruger is a solid, well made handgun. But in the past, they did not have a reputation for accuracy. Maybe the newer models are better. As far as semi-auto's go, you may want to handle a few. The reach to the trigger may be an issue depending in the size of your hands. I have a Sig 226 9mm. It is extremely accurate and unquestionabley reliable. I had a Taurus 92, but I didn't like the heavy trigger pull. There are a lot of great handguns out there. A Browning P-35 might be worth trying. They are slimmer than most and have an excellent reputation. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:20 AM

As Wingbone said the Rugers are good guns, but they have never been target guns. I personally don't care for the way they feel, but that's a personal thing. You'll get a ton of "buy the one I've got", but you need to handle and shoot if possible as many different brands as you can. Sigs and Berettas are generally accurate guns, but they may not fit your hand well. Take your time and shop around.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:48 AM

Hi Hunteress22,

I have a Ruger P94, (albiet chambered for .40 S&W), and it is a solid, reliable gun. I also have a Taurus AF92PT, chambered for 9mm and it also is a good, reliable autoloader. And I would have no qualms with recommending either model to someone.

Recently my brother-in-law bought a Springfield XD 4" chambered for .40 S&W and liked it so well, (his wife as well), that within a month he bought another chambered for 9mm for his wife. It is also a 4" and is a good compromise between portability and ease of use. The 4" 9mm is now my sister-in-laws "house gun". They are both very happy with them.

My wife and I have fired them both....and they are very "user friendly"....great ergodynamics.

Good luck with your search!
Old 01-06-2004, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't have to use it for self defense, but only targets, you might want to think about getting a Ruger Mark II. THey are very accurate guns that are really cheap to shoot.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Okay, first of all, find a gun that fits your hand. Don't worry so much about the brand, you MUST find one that fits and that you are comfortable with. Make sure the grip isn't too big or the gun isn't too heavy. I have seen so many people run out and buy a glock and it doesn't fit their hand and they are clumsy with it. I have seen people say they have to have a semi auto yet they shoot a revolver 10x better. So you see it's all about fit NOT about brand or style.

One problem i have seen with the rugers is the size. they are a big gun. i would suggest looking at CZ or glock. They are smaller, and may fit your hand better.

Again, just make sure the gun fits and don't worry about who makes it at first. Some gun shops let you try a few different guns. It would benefit you to shoot your top two favorites.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:36 AM

I have had quiet a few handguns. I have had revolvers of different manufacturers and i have owned semi's. In terms of what I have liked from my experience, I had a Colt 1911 in .45 cal. It was a good shooter, but I replaced it with a Ruger P97 in .45 cal that was stainless and the Ruger out shot the Colt hands down. I also have had a Browning p-35 in 9mm or some call it a Browning Hi-Power. It was a very accurate handgun. I have owned Smith and Wesson Revolvers, Rossi revolvers, and the Heritage Revolvers in .22 cal. The others were in .38 special and 357 mag. Out of all of these, the Ruger seemed to fit my hands better than the others. I felt the Ruger was not as chunky as the others. However, in the .45 cal P97 Ruger's, the magazine and consequently the grips were smaller than all other Ruger models because it was a single stack magazine. That could be why it felt better and less clunky than the others. Hope this helps some. Good Luck.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

You mean 9mm Luger? Ruger is a gun manufacturer that has some pistols chambered in 9mm Luger or Parabellum (different names for the same cartridge). If you want to start target shooting try a 22 LR.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, I really mean no offense by this, but the way you worded your post, I'm kind of wondering if you don't mean you want a 9mm Luger, not Ruger...simple mistake.

That said, I completely disagree with the statements above about ruger autoloading centerfire pistols not being very accurate target pistols, I had two 1911type pistols (what the military has used for almost 100yrs), one a Colt 1911A1 and one a Ballister-Molina-I sold both of them because my new Ruger P-97 out shoots both of them. Short of getting a competition target pistol, I'll probably never own another pistol than a ruger. I'm a .45acp shooter, but I've owned and shot many 9mm's, my lil'lady shoots them and loves them-they're a great women's gun.

For a beginner, a 9mm is fine, not everyone wants to start out with a .22lr, it's a good idea for some, but there's no reason to really, the 9mm is a good starting point as well...most people just like to start with a .22lr because ammo is cheap so they can shoot/practice a lot more for the same dime, i.e. 550rounds of .22lr from walmart is $10, 50rnds of 9mm from walmart is $10-15. If you change your mind to a .22lr, get a Ruger Mark II, they ARE target pistols, especially if you get the Gov't target model or the 10" bull barrel!!!

If you stick with the 9mm, I highly recommend the Ruger P-95 for you, I'd get it in the stainless slide and Manual safety model, the kP-95, the composite grip frame makes it lighter, but more top heavy and balanced towards the muzzle (especially if you only load one round at a time-the magazine is heavy loaded)-this really helps to lessen the recoil of the shots, which the 9mm is a ***** cat anyway, but this would help, stainless guns are just easier on maintenance and a manual safety is a must for a beginner.

You might try to find some 9mm's in your neck of the woods that you could try shooting before you buy one, maybe check with your local police, they might issue them or if their officers buy their own-either for duty or pleasure, you could probably try one on if you ask politely.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:58 PM

There used to be a company called Intrac than made an awesome gun. I am almost certain the Sprinfield Armory bought the company out or the patent of the Intrac 2000 that I had. The gun never jammed even when limp wristing and I would and did bet my life on that gun (CHL Carrier).

I have owned many pistols the Intrac being of a good price with good accuracy. There however is probably a better target shooting gun.

Quick Reply: 9mm Ruger?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.