Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

9mm Ruger?

Old 01-06-2004, 12:59 PM

Default RE: 9mm Ruger?

One other comment I'd like to add...particularly on ammo prices. The Walmart in our area now sells Winchester "white box", (inexpensive), in 100 round bulk packs. The 9mm's run $10.99.....40 S&W go for $14.99....and .45 ACP goes for $18.99. These are all bulk packs of 100 and are Winchester brand. (If you don't mind cleaning your firearm a little more often...there are a number of former East block countries that sell pistol ammo for even less. They are NOT corrosive primed...but do tend to shoot "dirty". No harm...just cleaning more often required.)

The .22LR is popular because it is inexpensive....plentiful.....very easy to shoot well with (ie. lack of recoil)....and can be very accurate. But it makes a "poor" defensive cartridge if that is a consideration!

Handle as many handguns as you can....prior to purchasing. If the opportunity presents itself....shoot as many as you can prior to purchasing. Then make a choice.

Once again....good luck!
Old 01-06-2004, 02:35 PM

If you are not very experienced and want a handgun for self defense as well as target shooting I would suggest a double action revolver in .38 or .357
With a revolver you dont have to remember to rack the slide when your life depends on it, no jams from a half rack, no jams if a second shot is needed and is just plain easier to for the average shooter to use. Plenty of revolvers made for the ladies specifically.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:34 PM
bigcountry

I agree with GATurk. My girlfriend always liked the Berrettas cause of cosmetics. So I took her out and let her shoot my 92FS. She hated the trigger, the reach was very difficult for her. I then put a Mod 28 S and W 357Mag in her hands with 38 loads. She's hooked. I tried to get her to shoot my 1911, glock, and kimber, and she didn't want anything to do with them.

I also suggest against the 9mm. 40S&W is ideal all around plinker, home defense. 9mm ain't known to be a one shot knockdown pistol. I notice that my girlfriend had trouble pulling back the slides on the autos.

but if all that is managable, slide pull, and all, then the ruger will give you a lifetime of service.

Old 01-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know where you live but many bigger gun stores have indoor shooting ranges and you can try some of the guns on their range. Try to find one of them and shoot a few of the guns that feel good in your hand. Don't overlook the small revolvers as they are much easier for SOME PEOPLE to shoot. A small frame 38 special or 357 Mag is cheap to shoot and good protection. They are simple to use and very dependable. I have seen autos malfunction at about 20 times the rate of revolvers. I shoot both but when it comes to betting my life, I go back to the 4 inch Smith and Wesson or Taurus K frame size revolver. I will carry an auto but not before I run at least 500 rounds through it without a malfunction.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:23 PM

First and foremost you must handle as many pistolas as you can. You need to find one that fits YOUR hand. After making sure the firearm is unloaded check the trigger as well to make sure you like the feel of it. My sister-n-law shoots quite a bit and really enjoys the Glock 17 the most but likes the CZ's in 9mm and 40s&w. My brother has many other 9's but those fit her best and if it doesn't fit you, you won't shoot it. You need to practice on a regular basis, so you will be able to use the firearm effectively if the time ever arises.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:10 PM

The P89 (full sized 9mm) is a good solid reliable gun, and you should be able to get one with out breaking the bank. If your hands are very small you may have a hard time shooting it though. My wife is quite uncomfortable shooting it, but she has small hands even for a lady. I have found it to be resonably accurate, but certainly not a "match" pistol. But after 10000+ and never a misfire, still my favorite pistol.