Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Stainless VS blued?? >

Stainless VS blued??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Stainless VS blued??

Old 01-05-2004, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Stainless VS blued??

Was wondering if anyone feels that there is a con to owning a stainless barreled rifle. Meaning the glare or bright flash it might give off on a sunny day.....intrested as I'd like to by a stainless in the near future!
Old 01-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Stainless VS blued??

It can glint in the sunlight, but if you live in a humid and typically wet region, stainless is the way to go. Personally I prefer blued firearms since I don't have a problem with rust, but my next rifle will most likely be a Browning A-Bolt stainless in .300 Win Mag. I'm going up to Alaska in the next couple of years, and I want to have a decent rifle out in the wilderness.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer stainless and laminate stocks. If you sit still there should be no problems with glare off of the stainless.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:08 PM

Stainless rifles are no more "shiney" than blued ones. In fact the high polished blued ones are some of the worst shiners out there. I'll take a stainless any day.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

For glare about the best is a matte blue or camo matte finish. The traditional blue will reflect more than a stainless or at the very least the same amount, making it a moot point. I can say with 100% honesty the finish on my barrel hasn't amounted to any lost chances on big game and is more of personal preference. I would go with the SS and never look back there are advantages to it over any blued barrel for our canadian enviroment.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:25 PM

Simple. Give me a stainless steel rifle with a McMillan stock and I'm happy.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bearhuntr used the exact words that I would have.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-06-2004, 04:04 AM

i think depends on the blueing..

i like the blueing on my browning medallion, BAR MKII safari. never has any problems in the humbid climates up here in the summers in MA. then the cold rainy/sleety weather in the winter during hunting.
but i also have had remington and savage rifles ( mostly in the humid months ) get areas of a lite dusting of rust on them. i have been told the way browning does there blueng stages.
i have also had a marlin 336SS stainless that did well .

so i would have to say it is up to you and how you are with your cleaning. i clean my guns every time out of the field that day ( or wipe the down with a silicone cloth ).
some people don't like them because of the reflectiveness off the sunlight that may/may not have the deer pick up on it easier.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:18 AM

Hey there Quilly....I think I know you from somewhere

Anyway.....I have no experience whatsoever with stainless barrels, which is why I ask this. I hear everyone talking about how if you hunt in wet weather, stainless barrel and synthetic stock is the way to go. What makes it so much better?

I have a VERY old rifle which is my hunting rifle and I guarantee it has seen the nastiest weather available. It has a wooden stock and blued barrel. It still shoots as well as or better then any rifle made today, and has never had any problems.

What is the big advantage of stainless/synthetic vs. blued/wooden?

Quick Reply: Stainless VS blued??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.