Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ar-15

Old 01-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default ar-15

i was wondering if anyone in here has an ar? Or if anyone ahs built one? How do they shoot, are they as reliable as the company's say , what brand should i buy or build?
Old 01-05-2004, 06:43 AM

Default RE: ar-15

I carry and AR-15 at work. We uses Colt and they are excellent. I would say Colt and Bushmaster are probably the top brands. We have little 4 power ACOG scopes on them (combat scope) The ones I have handled seem to be very reliable. We qualify out to 200 yds., father out than that I don't have any experience and as far as grouping goes they seem to shoot pretty tight groups although we typically don't train for marksmanship as we are more into combat shooting.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:07 PM

Iowabuck,
yes, I just bought one about a month ago. It was hard to part with about $800 bucks, because I wasn't sure if it was worth the $. Well, I took the chance, and I couldn't be any happier!

I bought the Bushmaster XM15-E2S. 20" bull barrel, flat-top version. I mounted a Tasco World Class Plus 4-12 X 44 scope.

Accuracy so far is good, to say the least. At 100 yards, I have fired 3 groups so far. The 5 shot groups measured, 7/8", 7/8", and 3/4". I love the gun, it is everything that I hoped. Without shooting these groups myself, I would hardly believe it. I have always wanted a semi-auto that would shoot sub-MOA. Try Bushmaster, I think you'll be more than happy.

PS- don't be alarmed by the suggested retail price set by Bushmaster. Several gunshops sell new Bushmaters for a couple hundred less. Figure about $800. Give or take, depending on model. Mine is the chrome-lined bore, they claim that the non-chromed barrels are more accurate, but don't last as long.

Try this website; http://www.gunblast.com/Bushmaster_Varminter.htm

Mainehunt
Old 01-06-2004, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stick with the abc's and R:
Armalite
Bushmaster
Colt
Rock River Arms
Old 01-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mainehunt those are some mighty fine groups.

Can you give us some more details, like what does your gun weigh? What style of handguard? Is the barrel "free-floated"? I have the Bushmaster Brochure and I am trying to look at the gun you bought but there is more than one style of XM15-E2S.

At any rate it sounds like it might be "death" on coyotes.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:38 AM

Antler eater,
I have the XM15-E2S, V-Match Rifle, 20" varmint barrel, free floated handguard, (round aluminum) No front sight. It weighs 7.99 pounds w/out magazine.

I'm not sure which catalog you have from Bushmaster, but mine is the 2003, v.2 catalog. (upper left on front cover) The rifle I just mentioned is on page 11.

The website that I posted above is about the "varminter" basically there are only a couple of differences. The varminter doesn't have a chrome barrel, has a better trigger, and has vents milled into the hanguards. I didn't feel that it was worth the extra cash. Just my opinion.

I hope I answered your questions, because I love talking about this gun.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome!

I am looking at the Bushmaster V Match Rifle myself. I think I have narrowed it down to that one or the Varminter.

My concerns with the Varminter is weight and overall length (8.75 pounds and 42.25 inches overall length). Could be a bit much to lug around after Coyotes especially when a guy has to mount a scope and ammunition on there yet. I am very impressed with the groups though.

I don't know I might even like the V match with a 16 inch bull barrel... Who knows, I have plenty of time to think about it before my "ship comes in".

Keep us posted as to your likes and dislikes of your new toy and its performance. I really enjoy the discussion.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:34 PM

Mainehunt, you picked a pretty good variant for your first pick. I have a V Match and a Colt 6700. I have a hard time picking the one I like better but the Bushmaster does group a little tighter in my particular rifle. I won't bother posting fractions because most people don't believe me anyway.
Which ever rifle you pick Iowa I'm sure you will be as happy as everyone else in the AR-15 club. Good shooting!![8D]
Old 01-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone have any experience with Bushmaster's two-stage trigger? It sounds a lot like a release trigger to me.

Marmax, please do post your fractions, and any other info you could give us concerning your AR-15 experience.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

my dad built an armlite....he built a shorty with the colapsable stock and carbine barrel.....saved TONS of money and it functions great.....i never fired groups out of it.....heck i dont even know that i shot that one.....but its simple to build....i think he bought a parts kit and the rest and a manual.....but it saved him alot of money.....he also has on in the a2 configuration i think it is....im not posative on that.....its full size and is what he shot in the marines i guess....i guess that ones pretty dang accurate.....i never shot groups with that one either....id like to one day........i heard they can be tack drivers......building them isnt hard at all i dont think as long as you understand the basics of assembling a gun and everything....and have a smith or someone expierinced check it before firing for the gas pressure, head space and all that fancy stuff.....good luck......they are pretty nice guns if you get a nice one.....i myself cant get over the price either......they are so dang simple....i cant see why they are so expensive.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.