Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Cheap Scope Heartbreak. >

Cheap Scope Heartbreak.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cheap Scope Heartbreak.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:34 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default Cheap Scope Heartbreak.

I was warned. I bought a Savage 111 package gun last year and was told by many of you not to rely on the 3-9x32 simmons scope that came with it. I had taken it to range and was able to get decent groups so I thought I would live with it for a while. I bought another scope recently but wasn't going to put it on till the season ended.
The season ends tomorrow. I got my climbing stand up into a tree (in the rain) before dark I was sitting there waiting and once it was beginning to get light I took a look thru my scope. It had some rain on it. So I went to wipe the rain away with a lens cloth I took with me. My lens moved. It slid forward about 1/8 inch. I thougtht I must have imagined it so I took a look and sure enough the lense was loose ans slid back and forth. I climbed back down and hiked back to my truck. I drove home in disgust. I'm thinking of puttin the other scope on there, bore sighting it and going to the range this before it gets dark tonight. I could at least have one last shot at tomorrow. The other scope I bought is also a cheaper scope. I think I'm going to just go ahead and put a Leupold rifleman on there some time this summer so I'll be ready for next season.
If there is a silver lining to all of this, I was averaging 1 1/2 inch groups with this setup at 100 yards. Maybe my rifle prints better than that when I put some decent glass on there.

David
Old 01-02-2004, 11:43 AM

Default RE: Cheap Scope Heartbreak.

We have all learned the hard way one time or another. In todays day and age there is no truer statment than you get what you pay for. Live and learn and good luck next time.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck with the new scope, id definetly put a leupold on it as soon as funds allowed it. I had a problem with a cheap scope once, poi kept changing. Havent had that problem with my leupold vx ii. This forumn and experience taught me not all scopes are created equal.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would also put a better scope on it but I certainly wouldn't get a leupold rifleman. That is their bottom of the line scope and the reviews that I have read on it have not been great. It was said that the rifleman was not very clear nor was the sighting picture crisp to the edges. For the $199 they cost you would be much much much better off getting a Bushnell elite 3200. The 3200 is a far superior scope than the rifleman is. IMO leupold isn't doing any one any good with the new rifleman series of scopes.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:36 PM

Put a Leupold VX-II or Vari-X III on it and you'll never regret it. There are some pretty decent deals floating around out there right now on select Leupold scopes. They are being clearanced to make way for the new models this year. Natchez Shooters Supply and Midway are two places I've seen with ongoing sales on certain Leupold models.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:01 PM

The only thing worse than a real cheap scope is a real cheap stepladder. [:@]
Old 01-02-2004, 07:37 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Yeah well chalk me up for a real cheap climbing stand too. I made that mistake as well. Thought that since it was a warren and sweat it would be quality. I was wrong. Lucky I didn't die from it. Gonna have to start squirreling away some cash to upgrade my equipment next year.
I'm gonna have to find another scope to put on my rifle because the main tube on the newer cheap scope I bought is too short for the ring base that came with the rifle and I couldn't find anything that would work at Dick's so I guess the season is over for me. Oh well. I plan to learn from this. I've got 10 months to get my rig together and tune it up properly.

David
Old 01-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I bought a Savage package gun with the Simmons 3x9 on it as well. I used it for three seasons then put it on my 22 It still works fine. I have never heard anything bad about the Rifleman scopes. I have had quite a few Leupold scopes and being real clear just isn't thier strong point. Of the several that I have none are as clear as my Bushnells. They should stand up well though. For a real clear scope I have found the Nikons and Bushnells to be the clearest. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've learned a hard lesson about Trashcos a few years back! You really do get what you pay for!
Old 01-03-2004, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

A good scope for the $$ is the Nikon Buckmaster. I have 3 all are very clear and work well. I also have VX3 and Nikon Monarchs and can't tell a difference ..Bill

Quick Reply: Cheap Scope Heartbreak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.