Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 VERY interesting..... >

VERY interesting.....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

VERY interesting.....

Old 12-25-2003, 10:39 PM

Default VERY interesting.....

http://www.mdrusa.net/nothing_but_air.htm

check these MONSTERS out and lets hear yer opinion.....

i didnt know these rifles existed...

ch312
Old 12-27-2003, 12:22 AM

Default RE: VERY interesting.....

a lot of those seemed to be from game farms... like the elk and the axis bucks. If you get it in the right place, you can take just about anything with extremely crazy weapons... i wouldn't try it, but to each his own.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:40 AM

I once killed a bull moose with my 12ga Remington double useing a 2-3/4" highbrass with #6 shot at over 40 yards!! I wouldn't go moose hunting with that same gun and load though!

I heard about a native gal that killed a huge brown bear with a single shot 22lr too, but i guess i'd pass on hunting brown bears with my 22lr's!

Just because "almost" anything "can" be done, that doesn't mean it "should" be!!
Old 12-27-2003, 04:51 PM

drilling man r u retared?

i really dont believe that since some turkey dont go down at 40 yards with 2 3/4 #6's....have u ever even seen a moose hide? i dont believe that at 40 yards #6 pellets would even reach the vitals. and if headshot they would definatly not penetrate. maybe if u were usin an old newfy trick my dads buddy told me then ya.

(take a shotgun shell and cut through the hull all the way around in the middle of the wad....where it goes skinny between the shot and powder....then put it in a single shot with a cylinder choke and BAM. u have a newfy slug and it actually works....)

but just incase u did actually do it y would u even shot a moose with birdshot? not only is it against the law but its very unsportsman like. us hunters already have enuf trouble with green peace or wutever they called. just think what woulda happened if u were caught. it probly be in the papers as an irresponsible hunter trying to wound moose.

dunno bout others but it sounds retarded plus it wouldnt be fair to the animal if it was only wounded.

ch312
Old 12-27-2003, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe he blinded him and he ran out in front of a truck.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I must agree that shooting a moose with birdshot at over 40 yards does not appear to be very intelligent behavior whether legal or otherwise.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd have to say that shooting any big game animal with bird shot is very irresponsible to say the least! Very unethical and probably illegal too!
After taking a deer with buckshot, I won't even try buckshot again. If the animal goes down on the spot buckshot works. But since the pellets don't expand, if they run off, you will have a hard job finding them because most of the bleeding is internal. I don't know for sure, but I'd venture to say that bird shot for game animals is probably illegal in every state! It is not something that a "hunter" would use!
Old 12-28-2003, 05:13 PM

and if headshot they would definatly not penetrate.
WRONG!!!A direct on shot will penetrate the eyes thus entering the brain. There is no doubt about the legallity, but it is far from inhumane,as the animal is braindead before it hits the ground.
Just because "almost" anything "can" be done, that doesn't mean it "should" be!!
I agree 100%, it's all about where to draw the line and not crossing it.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:15 AM
DM

Default "OK" Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!! by, Drilling-Man

I've been unable to reply here as there is a problem with my pass, and i can't get anyone from hunting.com to answer my emails about it!! I went to the chat, and after that i've NEVER been able to post on here again, untill now!! AND, that's because NOW i'm re-registered under another name!!! Anyone else had this problem????????????

Can some one from Hunting.com PLEASE fix my name and pass for Drilling-Man????? Please!

NOW, about that moose i shot with my double 12!!!!

I see in my absence, you guys have tried, and convicted me for posting that i shot a moose with birdshot. One of you even went so far as to ask if i was "retarded", and with his "vast knowledge" and "experence" gave me a "lesson in exterior balistics"! YET, i noticed in another post, this same individual was still trying to figure out if a .243 win would kill a coyote at 350 yds..............!!!!!!!!! (at the time i posted above)

ALL that, without even knowing the "rest of the story".......!!!! Well, here it is!

Late one winter night i heard a heck of a racket outdoors along with my dog barking wildly!! I grabbed my 12ga double and went out on the porch, but the outdoor light didn't shine far enough to see what was happening. I walked toward the noise, and all of a sudden i saw a cow moose comeing "straight at me" with her ears back!! I pulled the shotgun up with the thought i'd shoot along side her with one shot, and kill her if she didn't turn with the second. Well, she "did" turn, at about 40 feet away!!! I called the dog in, and all was well.

Next morning at day break, i sat down at the table to eat my breakfast, and then noticed something in the edge of the woods that just "didn't look right". After i got done eating, i went out to find a dead bull moose! The tracks in the snow showed it was side ways from me the night before when i shot, and it did NOT go more than 40 feet (running) untill it fell, and died right there! Once i peeled the hide off, i found the lungs were all peppered with shot, and that's what killed him!!!

Was it legal??? NO it wasn't, but neither myself or my dog was injured the night before!! And that moose fed my family, myself, and my dog a lot of meals all the rest of that winter!!! (keep in mind this happened in Alaska before it became so populated like it is today)

I remember i made 80 pounds of "corned beef" (moose) from that animial, and all kinds of other things out of it, before spring came!!

Now, you can all think i'm retarded, unintelegent, and irresponsible, BUT at least i'm still here to tell you the story, and if you think moose aren't dangerous, ask someone who has lived in Alaska what the moose are like in the winter!!!! I know there's at least two guys that post regularly on this forum that have spent time there.

Hey Canadian Hunter you asked, "have you ever seen a moose hide", how many moose have you skinned?????? I bet i've skinned by myself, or helped skin more than 30!! How about you???????????

Do you guys know that story about "assumeing" something????????????

Drilling-Man
Old 01-08-2004, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "OK" Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!! by, Drilling-Man

I have to back up DM on this one. Some people fail to realize it, but there is a whole lot of energy that comes out of the business end of a shotgun. The only reason why its difficult to kill a turkey at 40 yards is because the pattern density is decreasing and you are aiming at a very small target where at 20 yards you might get 15-20 pellet hits versus 1 or 2 at 40 if the shotgun doesn't have an extra tight choke.
At even closer ranges, the shot column acts almost like a single projectile when it comes to penetration.

I shot some large pumpkins (uncarved) with birdshot, turkey loads, and a 30-06 last fall. The shot shells did much more visible damage to the pumpkin at 20 yards than than the '06 did at 100 yards.

Quick Reply: VERY interesting.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.