Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Tommy vs. SKS??? >

Tommy vs. SKS???

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tommy vs. SKS???

Old 12-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tommy vs. SKS???

I've got the opportunity to trade an SKS (and a SxS) for a "Tommy gun", it's not a true Thompson, just a knock off, but it's by far the best price I've seen on even a generic version. In Kansas, it would also be legal for deer hunting, not that I really need another deer rifle, but my SKS has been my No. 2.

Can anyone help me decide whether I should make the trade or not? There are advantages to both, but I'm curious as to what my peers think, any .help would be much obliged

Here are a few things I'm pondering...
The Tommy is better b/c:.45acp is cheaper to shoot, easier to reload (if I should choose to), I've got .45acp handguns so it'd be one less type of ammo I'd have around. it's a new face and it's new itself, my SKS isn't, and they're much more rare than SKS's, even in knock off versions. The coolness factor is undeniable, and they TEND to be very accurate, I don't know about this one.

The SKS is better b/c: I've got a lot of pre-ban and aftermarket toys for it already, and it's more powerfull, so it would make a better/longer range deer rifle (not that I'm depending on it as a deer rifle though), ammo is pretty cheap for a rifle cartridge, the sights are better than the tommy's and I've got a scope mount for it, I don't think you put a glass on a tommy gun. I know this SKS to be very accurate. I'm also certain I could find a smith competent in SKS AND parts for the SKS if something should breakdown.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:00 PM

Default RE: Tommy vs. SKS???

I've always wanted a Thompson. They would be a blast and you can still find 50 round drum magazines for them at gun shows.

However, the SKS cartridge is by far the best of the two for deer hunting, although I personally wouldn't hunt with either. The .45 acp is just not a deer hunting caliber, in my opinion, regardless of what firearm it comes out of.

If you have another means of for hunting, I'd make the switch. Having a good ol' tommy gun would be a blast.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tommy vs. SKS???

45acp is cheaper to shoot,
Where are you buying your ammo?!

When I still had my SKS I'd buy ammo for no more than $2/box of twenty for plinking. The good hunting ammo in 7.62x39 Soviet costs less than $15/box. But the last time I bought a box of Hydra-shoks for my .45 they cost me $16 for a box of twenty.

And for deer I'd say that the 7.62x39 is a better choick than .45ACP any day. While the .45ACP would certainly kill a deer if you hit it right, it's not going to have the range or hitting power of a good .311cal bullet at 2000+fps.

Now if we were to talk about the "fun factor" of the two, I'd definately have to side with the Thompson. I think it'd just be a joy to shoot, especially if you could get your hands on a pre-ban drum magazine. It'd make a good home defense gun too.

Mike