Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 02-06-2002, 07:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-06-2002, 07:48 PM
XTP

Default RE: Will somebody fill me in on the Mini14/Mini30?

As for calibers: 10/22- .22lr
Mini-14 5.56mm(.223)
Mini-30 7.62x39mm
SKS 7.62x39mm
Any of these can certainly be used for varmints,some even use them for short range deer(the 7.62x39 that is,the others are to light).Their popularity could be put up for debate,but it's probably due to putting accurate firepower in a small package.There is an unlimited supply of acces. as well,so even though some of these cater more to the anarchist than the hunter,they maintain their status.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:53 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-06-2002, 08:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-06-2002, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, mark this on the calander because I actually have to agree with drache on something. The mini's are over-priced for the performance they deliver. Better off with any number of other rifles.
Old 02-07-2002, 05:24 AM

Take the money you would spend on the Mini-14 or 30 and by a handfull of Military surplous rifles.

I about died the other day when I seen the price of a new Mini-30. I could have got 2 Enfields and 2 SKSs out of the same place with a few boxes of ammo for that price. Plus I am not real keen on mechanisms that have lots of springs and small parts.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger 10/22= .22lr with ten round rotary, semi auto, great gun

SKS=7.62x39mm Russian or Chinese made semiauto, rugged and hot shooting, looks wicked with a bayonet and folding stock

Ruger Mini-14=.223 semiauto, also really good looking with after market stuff

Ruger Mini 30=same as Mini 14, but chambered to a 7.62x39mm

Mini 14 is good varmint, 10/22 is a .22lr, but some use .22 for varmints a lot, the SKS and Mini 30 are a little heavy other than for coyote, but lots of people use them, including me, I have a paratrooper SKS. Gimme a day or two and your email and I'll show you what I'm talking about looking cool with after market stuff, folding stock, 30 round mag, 20 inch bayonet. It's wicked.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:53 PM

Where does this 8" group stuff come from? Was this from a new or used gun? I have never owned or seen a Mini-14 that was that inaccurate unless it had been abused or had a sloopy stock fit. I have owned 3, 1 blued and 2 stainless ones. The blued one would shot 2" all day long with iron sights, if kept clean as any other gun. One stainless would do 21/2". The other stainless would only do 51/2" because some yo-yo that had it before me, never cleaned it and it must have had an eroded throat. Took hours to clean when I got it home. If you have a new or a good used one and it won't group. Examin the stock, it may need to be tightened up with some bedding work. Bed the heat shield into the stock from mag well to forend tip, which also can be bedded to fit tight into the gas block. Also bed the mag well frame/reciever guide?, into the stock. At last aply bedding to the top of the stock under the reciever and nearly but NOT completly lock the trigger asembly back into the reciever. When done right it WILL tighten up the stock fit and your groups. The only other expense might be a trigger job or barrel re-crowning.
I think this gun has a bad rep because it tends to have the heck shot out of it between cleanings. I've seen ones with the finish burned of the forends and wood handguards(on the older ones). Remember this is a military type firearm and about 3" groups are cosidered acceptable for these types of guns. I do agree about the Mini-30 wrong barrel diameter for the caliber unless you re-load better off with an sks or aks.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

The calibers of both the Ruger Mini's are certainly adequate for varmints, but in order to kill them, you have to hit them, and there's the rub. Have never seen an accurate one as it came from the factory. I had a Mini-30 once that changed zero two to four inches from one day to the next!! My SKS was better!! Good Grief!!

Larry
Old 02-08-2002, 04:44 PM

I bought a Mini-30 last summer. I kinda agree with what drache is saying, but they are fun to shoot. And ammo is cheap. If your looking for a good semi-auto, I would steer away from the mini and spend a little more for a AR-15 or a bushmaster. The mini-30 is not that inaccurate I can get 2" groups at 100 yards without a scope.