Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 to this forum.  I've been reading it for months and finally decided to get in on the exchange of if >

to this forum. I've been reading it for months and finally decided to get in on the exchange of if

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

to this forum. I've been reading it for months and finally decided to get in on the exchange of if

Old 12-17-2003, 02:35 PM

Default to this forum. I've been reading it for months and finally decided to get in on the exchange of if

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've been reading it for months and finally decided to get in on the exchange of information.

I just bought a used 7MM Rem Mag in a Rermington ADL for a caribou hunting trip.

I intend to install a scope and have a friend reload some ammo for it.

Can anyone recommend a scope and ammo for that task?
Old 12-17-2003, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: to this forum. I've been reading it for months and finally decided to get in on the exchange of if

Welcome to the forum corditesmoke, Your questions. On the ammunition you'll have to try different brands and see what you rifle likes.No two rifles shoot like with the same cartridges.As far as scopes my suggestion is buy one of the better optics.Leupold's and Nikon's are a excellent scopes. Some say the Burris which I have no experience with.There some high dollar scopes,but are to rich for most people's billfold. I would suggest you stay away from the Tasco, BSA and Simmons scopes and any of the other low end scopes.They'll cost you more in the end.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-17-2003, 02:51 PM

Default RE: to this forum. I've been reading it for months and finally decided to get in on the exchange of if

Have to agree with Ruger-Redhawk. Don't skimp on the optics. You'll regret it later. Get the best that you can reasonablely afford. Leopold and Nikon are good choices.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put a leupold vx-ii on my 270 shortmag and realy like the optics, bright and clear and the adjustments are great. I also used the leupold bases and rings and they are nice and solid.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-17-2003, 05:38 PM

Default RE: to this forum. I've been reading it for months and finally decided to get in on the exchange of

Hi corditesmoke,

Welcome! I'd have to agree with the majority....it is awfully hard to go wrong with a Leupold. There are some nicer scopes out there, and their price reflects it. If money is tight you might consider checking out Leupold's new Rifleman series. You can have either a 2X7X33 or a 3X9X40 for under $200. I have not personally tried the Rifleman series yet...but I have owned many other Leupolds...and can vouch for their customer service. It is one of the best in the industry.

My experience with Leupold has always been with either their Vari-X II series...or the slightly more expensive Vari-X III series. And I have never been dissapointed.

Trying several different loads should help you pick out a particular load that your rifle prefers. You didn't mention where you'd be hunting Caribou at. But, if it is in big bear country I'd look hard at something 160 grains or heavier and in a premium bullet. A good example would be something on the order of Federal's Premium with 160 grain Nosler Partitions. (But there are many other great loads with premium bullets available!)

Good luck with your preparations and upcoming hunt!

P.S. If you are using a friend's reloads.....be absolutely sure it is someone you trust! Have him start with any of the 160 grain Premium bullets and go from there!
Old 12-18-2003, 12:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: to this forum. I've been reading it for months and finally decided to get in on the exchange of

I would try the new Hornady 154 gr. IB's, or Nosler 160 gr, AB's. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:02 AM
Typical Buck

I too can vouch for the Nikons and the Leupolds. I have them both of them on some "hand-jarring" handcannons and they have proven themselves over the years. Like previously posted, don't skimp on the optics, you'll be sorry in the end.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:48 AM

Just like everyone is saying, buy the highest quality scope that you can offer. You will be happy for a long time then. I personally like the Nikon Monarch's and the Weaver Grand Slams. Followed by the Bushnell Elite 4200's and than the Leupolds. I like Leupold's, but just think that you can get an equally high quality scope for less. Good luck on your hunting trip.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]
Old 12-19-2003, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: corditesmoke

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've been reading it for months and finally decided to get in on the exchange of information.

I just bought a used 7MM Rem Mag in a Rermington ADL for a caribou hunting trip.

I intend to install a scope and have a friend reload some ammo for it.

Can anyone recommend a scope and ammo for that task?
I recommend a Leupold 2X-7X or 2.5X-8X scope for caribou hunting, and a 140-grain Nosler Partition jacket bullet loaded to as fast as you can safely get it to go and still preserve adequate accuracy! Work up your load in that particular rifle!! The rest of the answers above seem to indicate that the folks missed the fact that you will be handloading for this rifle, which gives you a big advantage over people who have to use factory 7mm Mag. ammo, which has been "wimp-ized" to the extent that it is no better than some good 7X57mm Mauser loads! Your rifle may permit you to better this performance, perhaps by a wide margin! Mine does! However, yours may NOT, so work up loads 1/2 grain at a time, and use slow powders like H 4831, IMR 7828, and RE 22.