Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

good pistol

Old 12-16-2003, 10:50 PM

Default good pistol

What is your opinion on a cheap but good pistol for packing when i am bow or fly fishing. I always carry a cougar tag during bow for deer/elk, so i would like it to be enough to take down a cougar at close range if the need were to arise... any idea on these broad requirements?
thanks
idaho hunter
Old 12-17-2003, 12:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: good pistol

As for the caliber, go with any of these: 44mag, 454, 480. Your shot my have to quick, so stay away from the 500 from S&W. The X-frame is way too big and bulky for a quick shot. And I'd also go with a double-action, you may not have time to cock the gun. There are several different choices that will fit the bill. Ruger, S&W and Taurus all make fine DA revolvers. If I were to choose one, I'd go with the Ruger SRH in 454 with the 7 1/2 barrel. But, it really comes down to what "fits" you the best.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:53 AM

If price is a major consideration I'd look at a Smith and Wesson model 19 or model 66 with a 4" barrel. You can often find used ones at very good prices. For a little more money I go with the 686. All of these are in 357 mag and would serve you well in the roll you discribe.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:38 AM

Idaho,

I have a question. How much are you going to practice with your new handgun??? How much handgun shooting experience do you have now???

I find "if" a handgun owner doesn't practice regularly, he's better off with out one!!!

Haveing said that, my vote would be 41 mag or 44 mag, with around a 6" bbl. (assumeing you will shoot enough to be able to handle the recoil)
Old 12-17-2003, 11:44 AM

I'd go 44 mag as well.

If the recoil is to much and you do your own reloading - you can play around w/ powder amounts to make the recoil similiar to 41 or less. You can always load down but not up.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:47 PM

How much is a S&W model 19 or model 66 .44mag?
Old 12-17-2003, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The S&W models 19 and 66 are both 357 mags.The 19 is either blued or nickel.Mostly Blued were made. The 66 is stainless steel.Identical guns except for that materials made out of.If it were me I would go for something bigger then a 357 mag.Prices vary in different areas.You might check gun shows and gun shops for used Police Service revolvers,if you want a 357 mag.Depending on condition and what accessories it has. The 66 I'm guessing would be used around 300.00-325.00 and a 19 a little less.Like I say that's a guess on prices.Watch some of the gun auctions or www.gunsamerica.com You can find good deals there and usually have a three day inspection period.You might consider a good single action. Look at the Ruger Blackhawks or the Super Blackhawks.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-18-2003, 03:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Drilling-Man

Idaho,

I have a question. How much are you going to practice with your new handgun??? How much handgun shooting experience do you have now???

I find "if" a handgun owner doesn't practice regularly, he's better off with out one!!!

Haveing said that, my vote would be 41 mag or 44 mag, with around a 6" bbl. (assumeing you will shoot enough to be able to handle the recoil)

I will practice a lot! i take all shooting very seriously. When i am not at the range shooting one of my rifles or muzzleloaders, i am out shooting one of my three shotguns in sporting clays.
Hope that answers that question.

thanks for the advice, i am going to try the site listed by Rugaer-Redhawk.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:29 PM

Hi Idaho hunter 58,

For cougar you don't need any of the really hard recoiling handguns, (like the .454 Casull, .480 Ruger, etc.). The .357 Magnum is sufficient as are the .44 Special and .45 Colt (with appropriate loads). A slight step up in power to either the .41 Magnum or .44 Magnum would be fine...but not absolutely necessary.

As for a decent gun....inexpensively...you can shop for a good used S&W, Ruger DA or SA's, older Colts, or even Taurus. There are also some nice new guns in the above calibers not terribly expensive...such as the Taurus's, Ruger's Blackhawks, and some others. (I even saw a nice SA Revolver being marketed by Beretta recently at a really nice price.) And there are some other less well known manufacturers that make a decent revolver.

I would also suggest nothing shorter than a 4" barrel...with a little longer being probably better. You will probably find somewhere around 6" the best compromise between portability and shootability. You will have to decide what length is most useful. But if you intend to carry it at the same time you are archery hunting....I'd think you don't want it too big. (Also some states do not allow the presence of any firearm with an archer while archery hunting!)
Old 12-18-2003, 04:38 PM
bigcountry

I don't know much about Cougars, but I carried around this big ole blackpowder pistol during Muzzlelaoder season as a finishing shot gun. It is a Traditions Buckhunter, I think. That thing about drove me nuts. It didn't feel like much wieght in a uncle mikes shoulder holster, but by the middle of the day, I felt like I been carrying a tree stand all day. I would go for that 357Mag Mountain pistol SW has. A little more handy than my 44mag I someitmes carry.

Quick Reply: good pistol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.