Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rock solid base/ring setup for A Bolt? >

Rock solid base/ring setup for A Bolt?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rock solid base/ring setup for A Bolt?

Old 12-17-2003, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rock solid base/ring setup for A Bolt?

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Guys you can throw those redfield type rotary mounts in the garbage as well as dual dovetails...Once you buy a set of Talleys you'll be spoiled forever.

Sorry OEH,This is one topic we disagree on. One of very few I must add.I've used Redfield's Bases and their JR/SR rings for thirty years.I have never had a problem with them.I don't know anything about these Talley's and they probably are a great set up like you say. I found if something works for you stick with it.I will look into these Talley's you're talking about though.

On a side note my Redfield bases and rings are from the original Redfield Mfg.I can't speak for the newer ones since Redfield went belly up.The new ones might not be to the old Redfield's standards.
One thing we both agree with is the inferior new version Treelounge LOL.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-17-2003, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ruger , if that is what you are comfortable with and never had problems with then fine. I was using Leupold rings and not Redfield rings. I have had only one instance of the rotary Leupold ring going loose and it happened on a very expensive hunt. Fortunately some one had a screwdriver in camp and we made up a makeshift shooting range and everything went fine . I figure the least amount of parts the more reliable(in most cases). Talleys and Conetrol rings are really great rings and are extremely rugged only second to the factory ruger rings for strength. BTW I took care of the treestand problem and bought 2 new treestands at my local Sports authority...one an ol' man Grand vision and the other a Buckshot Centershot...50 % off on them so I ended up with 2 for the price of 1 ...I don't know how to beat that. Of course I wont have TL's customer service which might be a negative.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

338...the rifleman series mounts aren't even in the same ballpark and appear to be a conglomeration of Weaver, Holden and possibly Warne designss... The Owner of Ultralight Arms is a no compromise type guy and he wouldn't ship a gun unless it had the very best mount on it I can assure you of that.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

OEH, I'm glad the ring failure didn't ruin your hunt.In my experience thankfully I haven't had a problem with the twist in rings.Not saying it can't or won't happen one day.I agree the Ruger Rings are very strong.To be honest with you I never heard of these Talley's until you mentioned them. Maybe I did and didn't pay any attention to them.I will be looking into them.I bought rings for my Tikka made by Sako.Clamp type.I haven't tried them yet but I was impressed when I mounted them. There were around 40.00.You did get a good deal on those treestands.Both the ol' Man and the Buckshot are supposely good climbers.I'm more then satisfied with the Gunslingers I bought.I haven't used the TL but once this year since I got these GS's.I'm sure you'll miss Treelounges customer service.LOL. They are unique
Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-17-2003, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

oldelkhunter.. I wasn't thinking quality was the same ( I could tell by the price) just the design was similar as to they clamp top to bottom .. I always prefered steel to alum. Does Talley use a steel base or is all alum? I am putting a new gun together and wanted to try these new style that clap top to bottom ..Bill..Bill
Old 12-18-2003, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

They are all aircraft grade aluminum and the bases are hefty and they come with torx screws...they are hard anodized. I know guys that have ultralights and they are shooting these rings in big magnum calibers with no problems....
Old 12-18-2003, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

That sounds like what I am looking for ..Bill
Old 12-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

I have been reading talleys website and they say " we precision machine our products from the highest quality steel." I am ordering a set tomrrow, I would prefer steel but will settle for alum .. I will see tomorrow ..Bill