Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 First gun for son(s) >

First gun for son(s)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First gun for son(s)

Old 12-14-2003, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default First gun for son(s)

I have a two year old boy, and another boy on the way. Yeah, I'm thinking about this kind of early, but I can't help myself. (it'll probably generate some good discussion too.) Anyway, what is a good purchase for boys for their first gun?

I was thinking about a single shot .22/.410 combo. Rossi has a cute set-up, and it is inexpensive too. What do you all think? What good memories do you have about your first gun? What have you done with your own kids?

Thanks!!
Old 12-14-2003, 06:10 PM

Default RE: First gun for son(s)

the 22/410 sounds like a good choise.when they get to the age of hunting the price will be a lot higher.buy now and save in the long run.

and congrats. on the boys.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started shooting with a .22 rifle when I was 5 years old. (I am 20 now). It was a Sears .22 semi with a 10 shot clip magazine. I put a lot of shells through that gun and we still have it.

I would look at just a single shot or bolt action .22 to teach the one shot one kill theory and then go to a 410 or 20 guage later.

I just went to Savage's website. They have a new youth single shot bolt action out. Here are the spec's.

Model CUB G Youth
Caliber .22 S, L, LR
Overall Length 33"
Barrel Length 16.125"
Weight 3.3 lbs.
Magazine Capacity Single shot
Stock Walnut finished hardwood.
Sights Rear peep sight, bead post front sight.
Rifling Rate of Twist 1 in 16"
Features Mini single shot bolt action, traditional safety, free-floating, button-rifled barrel, blued finish.
Suggested Retail $149.00

It will swallow even the .22 short, so your sons can learn at an early age and not even flinch using the shorts. CCI puts out a few loads for the short.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

20 Ga Win 1300 youth models
Old 12-14-2003, 08:58 PM

I got a BB gun when I was 4 or 5, and never shot it without full supervision and tutelage by my dad. The .22 was broken out right after that - as soon as I was safe with the BB gun. 'My First Gun' was a single-shot .410 at age 8, that I used on my first squirrel. Two years later, I was using a full-fledged 12 gauge with no problems - I was 'husky.'
Old 12-14-2003, 09:45 PM

When i was about 5 years old a shot my brother's friend's automatic 22 rifle with my brother holding me and me shooting at the target.. it was a ruger. up til about 13 i was always a very small kid, when i was 11 i got my first gun. (remington model 587 .22) and when i was 12 i went a full day of skeet shooting with my brother. we bought about 100 bucks worth of shells, and we shot some old shells. That was fun. We also shot alot of different handguns. .357, 9mm, and a couple shots from a .45 ACP. I still go hunting with my brother every chance i get... but, if you plan on getting them to shoot at a young age i would probably get a .17 HMR or a .22 magnum.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

My Grandparents bought all the grandsons a bb gun for thier sixth Xmas. I was hooked and have been a gun Nut every since. When I was 12 My dad gave me a 20 gauge bolt action shotgun and I terrorized the rabbits and varmits. The next year Grandpa gave me his old winchester pump 22 with the exposed hammer. The first gun I bought was a Remingtonnnylon 66 22 rifle. My first deer rifle was a 1917 Eddiestone 30-06.