Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Advice for new rifle... >

Advice for new rifle...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Advice for new rifle...

Old 12-12-2003, 05:16 PM

Default Advice for new rifle...

Hello, I am getting ready to buy a new gun for X-mas, I have a .308 rem semi-auto already. I am looking at getting the Winchester bolt action(model 70 i think) .270 WSM or the 7mm WSM. I have not yet decided. I will be using the gun for whitetail. Any sugestions?
Old 12-12-2003, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Advice for new rifle...

I'm a big M-70 fan.....I think you'll like them.

Re: .270 or 7MM...the 7MM is much more versitile.....The .270 WSM will handle bullets to 150 grain (mostly) while the 7MM (only .007" larger in diameter) will send the 175 grain bullets for the bigger game. For deer size the 7MM is the equal of the .270 in such weights as the 120-150 range.

The .270 gains nothing over the 7MM but the converse cannot be said.

If all you intend to hunt is deer and that size animals, there's no difference.....but then why wouldn't you pick the more versatile gun?

I'll never again own a .270.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Of the two you mentioned my chouice would be the 270 WSM. I just finished reading in one of my reloading manuals that the 7MM short mags bullets must be seated pretty deep thereby reducing powder capacity and costing velocity. I have not tried either but if this is true then you may be better off with the 270 WSM or going to the 7MM Remington mag.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Hi Big Red:

I am a M70 fan, but I would not purchase either. Your semi is a great caliber/gun for whitetail. Unless your rem won't group, I don't see any gain in either of the cartridges you mentioned.

Happy Hunting.
CE
Old 12-12-2003, 06:30 PM

I'm not saying my .308 isn't doing the job, i just want a different gun.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too have heard that the Short mags do not do well with the long-for caliber bullets and when these bullets are used they invade the valuble powder space and reduce velocities. I would go with a standard caliber in the Model 70. .270, .280, 7mm RM these would all serve the same purpose as the new short mags and be a lot easier on the wallet.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:25 PM

If you are going to use the new gun for whitetails, I would get the .270 WSM without a second thought. It would be a pretty tough round to beat when it comes to anchoring whitetails.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Of the ones you listed - 270WSM. I wouldn't over rule the standards though, I own both 270 win and 7mm rem mag they do an excellent job. like mentioned: Ammo is cheaper and readily available, if a concern.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:17 PM

I have been doing a lot of research on buying a new rifle. I have read some of these threads and would just like to relay this info. I agree with those who say for versatility go with a 7MM Mag. over a 270. Same balistics, same kick, more versatility. Been looking at one myself but in 7MM Wby Mag. Like the Wby for show and the Ruger for the safety features and included rings.

Currently torn between that and the .300 Wby Mag. Also would like to know if I have the balls for the .30-378 Wby. Don't need it but it would be cool to own. Anyone that has experience with it and would like to share I'd appreciate it. Everything I read tells me it's a bastard to shoot. Expensive, I know, but my standard deer downer is a Rem 760 pump in .308 that has never failed to dump them on the spot. This would be a splurge on a toy. Thinking stainless synthetic.

Mikey from PA
Old 12-13-2003, 02:21 PM

Oh....and I found a great site Search on Chuck Hawks and read all of his stuff. Really good info....and says that short Mags are basically more kick for little benefit. I was excited aout them too until what he has said in several articles really made sense to me.

Quick Reply: Advice for new rifle...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.