Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Picked up my new 260 >

Picked up my new 260

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Picked up my new 260

Old 12-06-2003, 04:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Picked up my new 260

A short time ago I sold my 260 rifle in the Savage Lh bolt action rifle. The chamber was a little to short and 140 grain bullets had to be seated below the crimping ring. This also cut down on powrer space' Thiis could have been fixed but the trigger was awful as well and would have had to be changed. Instead of messing with it I sold that rifle to a fellow who borrowed it a couple times and took two nice elk with it. We were both happy. Just a few weeks ago I was in Scheels all sports and they had a new Ruger bolt action in 260. Its a stainless synthetic stocked rifle. I usually don't like stainless rifles but the heft and feel of this gun felt great and I put it on layaway. Today I talked to Santa and santa said pick that up for Xmas.
I still have all my brass and dies and bullets so I picked up one box of factory Remington in thier new accutips 120 grain. Its dark now so I will have to wait a bit to try it out. The trigger is about the right weight. It does have a little excess travel but I have never looked at a Ruger trigger so I don't know if they are adjustable by the owner or not. Scheels has two in house gunsmiths if it needs any work. It feels pretty shootable. I picked up a box of Sierra 120 gr pro hunter bullets as I was impressed with thier performance in the 280. In the 260 the 120 grains have a pretty high sectional density and the book shows a velocity of about 3000 fps. They are using a 24 inch barrel however the Ruger just has a 22 inch barrel. I almost bought a cheaper scope to put on it but at the last minute I decided to wait and save a little more money for a better scope. I have the VX 1 off of my 257 Roberts right now so I will stick that on until I pick up another. I would like to put a compact scope on it as its a fairly light trim little rifle. I have my old thirty year old 2x7 Redfield off of its normal rifle now too so I could use that. I think I will put a matte black scope on it rather than trying to match the tone of the stainless action. The stock is Black anyway. sorry for the long post but even at 60 a new rifle gets my heart pumping
Old 12-06-2003, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Picked up my new 260

I'm jealous. [:'(]

That .260 will do everything you could possibly ask of a rifle needed for hunting North American big game. Enjoy, and lets us know how she shoots!
Old 12-06-2003, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds nice.I like the All Weather's.The Ruger triggers can be reworked and made really nice.As far as I know there is no adjustment. They need to be honed and worked. I have a couple M-77's with about 3# triggers a freind did for me.It sure helped the accuracy when the trigger was lightened.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-06-2003, 09:13 PM

Hi James,

Congrats on the new .260. I think I'd agree with you about the matte black scope on the stainless rifle. I had a synthetic stocked SS Ruger in .338 Win. that I put a matte black Leupold VX-III 2.5X8 and it looked like the were made for each other! In my opinion much better looking than a mismatched stainless look. (Just my taste!)

My .260 is the Remington ADL and it shoots the Remington 120 Ballistic Tip load into groups so small....it nearly makes a grown man cry. I was shocked when I first took it out...strick factory with a Nikon Buckmaster 3X9X40. With the above premier load I had one three shot group go into 3/8" first day out. The other groups opened the average size to about 3/4" for the day. And I thought I had bought "an inexpensive medium game rifle" that could be stretched to cover long range varmints. Turns out it wants to shoot like a varmint rifle dressed for medium game.

Let us know how your first range session goes. Good shooting!
Old 12-06-2003, 10:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the replys. I think this rifle will do about 99 percent of the hunting I do. From Antelope to Black bear. With the penetration of the heavier bullets it will work well for elk as well as long as the range doesn't exceed 250 yards. The above mentioned friend who bought my other 260 shot an elk at about 275 yards with the 140 grain X bullet. Broke both front shoulders and exited. Messed up some meat but he didn't go a step. Mule deer will be the bulk of the chore for this gun. Will report after I get back home and put a scope on it. North Dakota weather permitting.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:47 PM

James B ,I have a Browning A bolt 260 caliber and love it .I bought the same rifle you just mentioned for my 12 year old son for Christmas this year.It is the Ruger All Weather MK11 bolt action with the stainless barrell.I put a Nikon Buckmaster Matte 3-9 X 40 scope on it and it looks great .I am a loyal fan of the 260 cal and reload with Nosler 125 gr partitions and Hornady 129 gr Interlocks .I have also had great success with Speer Nitrex 140 grain Grandslam (factory loads) as well.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck with your new rifle!
Old 12-07-2003, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

My mouth is watering. I want a 260 so bad i can taste it. I was looking at getting my son one for Christmas but i ran across a new Remington Classic chambered in 25.06 and bought him that instead. My next rifle purchase will definately be a 260 Rem. I wanted a 257 Roberts but i have two 25.06 Rem so i want something a little different. All i have to do now is decide what 260 to buy. I would like to get one with a 24" barrel if i can. Enjoy that new rifle it sounds like a nice one.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I could not find a 24 inch barrel model anywhere. Might have to get one rebarreled. Or go to Remingtons custom shop.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:08 AM

Hi Mykey,

I didn't see any listed with 24" barrels. If I would have wanted my .260 strictly for deer and other medium game I would have been tempted by some of the compact models which are available. But I wanted a compromise of sorts between a "long range" varminter and a "reasonable" deer rifle. And because I have usually had very good luck with Remintons being good shooters I selected the 700 ADL. It is standard with a 22" barrel and while not a heavyweight varminter would lend itself better to varminting than either a Ruger Compact (l6.25" barrel) or the Reminton Model 7 (with I believe an 18" or 20" barrel).

The ADL is heavier and less "handy" in the brush. But it is reasonably portable and still heavy enough for all but the most "specific" application of long range shooting. I know a compromise...but one I was willing to live with.

Fortunately it turned out to be a real shooter anyway. Here in Pennsylvania the shots come at woodchucks "slow enough" that barrel overheating isn't an issue like it might be for say ground squirrels/gophers.

Good luck on getting your .260!

Quick Reply: Picked up my new 260

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.