Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

JAMMING!!!!

Old 11-30-2003, 05:21 PM

Default JAMMING!!!!

hey all i just got back from shootin some clays with my remington 870 express super mag and after about 25 shots it jammed up....then after another 10 shots it jammed up again!!

is this because i was shootin kinda fast? should it be cleaned every 20 shots or so? since its brand new does it need to be " broke" in??

plz help me out everybody!

thx

ch312
Old 11-30-2003, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: JAMMING!!!!

No it should' nt require a break in period, tell us more on what was happening, was it not ejecting the spent case or just not loading the next shell, also what type of ammo and was you shooting reloads?
Old 11-30-2003, 05:36 PM

Hate to say it [ actually I don' t ] told you so
should' ve held out for better quality.
some links that might interrest you http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=9740
Old 11-30-2003, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Most new guns today benifit from a little wear in period. Plus you may have been short stroking it a bit. Clean the gun and work the action ( gun empty ) a few thousand times and it will get smoother. And keep shooting the clays. You won' t be completely natural with the gun until you shoot it several hundred times. And don' t get frustrated and cop a bad atitude about the gun, this will only hinder the process of getting comfortable with the gun. Trust me, with patients you will get there. The 870 is a fine gun. And with practice shooting it well, will become as easy as scratching your nose.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

One thing that can be a problem when shooting fast is a tendency to short stroke the action.In this case the action is not fully cycled and jams usually result.I have seen this on several occaisions with different brands of guns.I have an old 1950 model 870 that I did jam many years ago on my first goose hunt for this very reason(a very excited 12 year old) but neither this gun or my much newer 870 express have ever jammed since.If this is not your problem it is possible that there is a problem with the gun.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:40 PM

Don' t anticipate the stroke or pump length, use full strokes, don' t stop until it stops you.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:44 PM

lol i know im not short stroking the gun since after i shot i went to pump it and i could only pull the forearm back enuf to see all the brass on the shell thru the ejection port....like i could still pump it wen this happened i just had to pull pretty hard....

i just took the gun apart and the only moving part that i moved that i could get to was the ejector claw or wutever its called (hooks around the brass to pull the shell back and eject it) the claw gets stuck sumtimes wen i push it back with my hand....i dunno if this could be the problem or not since im only 18 and have been usin a single shot my whole life.....

as for the ammo i was using federal multi purpose shells in 2 3/4" with 3 dram

so both times wen it happened today i could only pull the forearm back 1/2 inch or so....

plz help me!

ch312
Old 11-30-2003, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Short stroking occurs when you fire the gun and don' t pull the forearm all the way back to properly eject the shell.The next shell tries to load but the fired shell is still in the way.You can' t determine if you were short stroking the gun by trying to stroke it after it has jammed.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:39 PM

I have seen three 870' s with the same problem, and it isn' t the gun, it' s the shells. Some of the cheaper target loads, such as low grade Winchesters and ESPECIALLY Estate target loads use very thin and weak metal on the bottoms of the hull. When fired, this stuff expands enough to cause jamming. It shouldn' t happen when you run your hunting loads through it.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:51 PM

oh so wen im shootin the cheap shells they actually expand in the chamber and thats y i cant even attempt to pump it? i guess ill get my dad to take me to a gun shop so i can buy sum of those AA shells or thoses STS' s...ive neevr tried either

only reason i was usin those really cheaps shells is cuz thats all ive ever used in my single shot for squirrel and such....so i guess its a good thing i used them all up today?

wut r sum good heavy game loads that r pretty popular? i wanna get sum good quality heavy game loads in #6 i guess for rabbit, grouse, squirrel, etc.

ch312

Quick Reply: JAMMING!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.