Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rust on Barrel >

Rust on Barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rust on Barrel

Old 11-26-2003, 12:24 PM

Default Rust on Barrel

Took my H&R to the range last w/end to zero it in. Must have had my hands on the barrel because when I took it out to clean it there were some rust spots. This gun is not even 2 weeks old. I have wiped it down and oiled it and hope it doesnt come back. Is there something else I can do besides wiping it down and oiling it ?
Old 11-26-2003, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rust on Barrel

Just hope I guess.

In all seriousness if the rust isn' t removed like I mentioned above in Rustydale' s topic take some 0000 steelwool and very lightly go over it. Since it' s blued you need to be extremely careful to not over do it or your bluing will be ruined.If it' s surface rust this should do it for you. I use RIG when I wipe my guns down.The stuff works great and really protects.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 11-26-2003, 10:12 PM

There is a new company making cleaner and gun blue called blue wonder and there products work as advertised. I used some of the cleaner to remove light rust from a shotgun.I didn' t even use steel wool or a bronze brush at first because of fear of a new product. I used a plastic brush and that was enough on one gun.Didn' t hurt the finish either. Then coat it up RIG. Brownells and Natchez have their stuff or you can go direct to blue wonders web site. Their bluing for touch up is the best I' ve ever used.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:21 PM

The site for above is www.novumsolutions.com