Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Triumph barrel rust >

Triumph barrel rust

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triumph barrel rust

Old 08-22-2008, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Triumph barrel rust

Recently purchased the TC Triumph to replace a stolen gun about 1 month ago. Black with weathershield barrel. To make a long story short, I have had two range sessions with the gunand love it. 1 problem is even after an extensive cleaning with solvent, dry patches and oil; I am getting the evidence of rust inside the barrel about a week after shooting. I have taken the gun back out and run dry patches down the barrel to remove the rust residue and then put another coat of oil down the gun, but I am concerned. After the dry patches to remove the rust the barrel looks perfect with no evidence of rusting. It has been humid in Michigan, but I thought this gun would hold up.

I have always stored my MZ's with the breech plug installed on the gun. Is it better to store them with the breech plug removed to allow air to circulate?

Anybody else having any issues like this with the Triumph? I am not beyond saying that it is something I am doing, but I have never seen this in any of my other firearms.

I am probably going to contact TC, but the gun is shooting so well that I hate to start from scratch.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Triumph barrel rust

I am in Northern Wisconsin with somewhat similar weather and have not seen any problems like that in any of my rifles. It seems strange that the rifle is doing this. Just a few thoughts, and I am not saying this is a cure.

When you're done swabbing the barrel with solvent, do you clean out the solvent as well? Normally after the solvent patches, I like to take a isopropyl alcohol patch and patch the barrel, then some dry patches to insure the barrel is free of all oil and solvents. After that, I run my oil patch down the barrel.

Next question would be what brand of oil are you using to protect the rifle? IMO some gun oils are good, some are not so good. I use Birchwood Casey Sheath a.k.a. Barricade. Another good one is Rem Oil with Teflon. Also Breakfree CLP is good, but I use that more of as a cleaner then a final protector...

I am sure you're very knowledgeable in the care and storage of your rifles. So this is why I wonder what could be causing this. If it continues, I would discuss your cleaning schedule with Thompson Center Arms and see what they suggest.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Kathwacckkk, my new GM LRH barrel did that to me the first two times I shot it. Got some very light rust color on a clean patch a few days after shooting. Don't know why. It no longer does it. I cleaned it real well before I ever shot it to remove any factory preservative, and went through my regular soap and water cleaning after shooting it, followed by drying and oiling with Rem Wonder Lube. Got me to wondering if I had it dry enough before running the final oil patch down the bore.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

here are a couple of things that come to mind, considering that it is a new gun did you scrub it good with some thing to remove the factory barrel presevitive? [ like breke cleaner] it can look like that if you left some. If you are using 777 I have had it leave a brownish residue that I thought might be rust startingtill I could not find any evidence of rust after I scrubbed it out. also if you are using copper plated bullets like the Powerbelts make sure it is not copper rub off. Lee
Old 08-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Carburetor cleaner is what I use. Itis my heavy duty cleaner because it will remove oils, grease, gunk, and it leaves no film (according to the NAPA salesman). Also it will not harm plastic which makes it safe for blowing out gunk in trigger assemblies.. And for $2.96 you get a great big can of the stuff.

Just be very careful spraying it, as you do NOT want to get that stuff in your eyes. Actually it sets the skin on my handscrazy and crack as well, but some Bag Balm cures me of any of that minor problem. And yes I am too stuborn to wear gloves.

I tried it the other day in cleaning BH209 out of the barrel. By the third patch the with the carb cleaner sprayed on, they were coming out nice and clean. Then it dries real easy as well.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Carburetor cleaner is what I use. Itis my heavy duty cleaner because it will remove oils, grease, gunk, and it leaves no film
Me too. I use it a lot. It's the best thing around for blowing the crud out of an action.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

i assume that you cleaned your gun right after you shot it and didn't put it away dirty? i've ran patches through brand new guns that can out orange. could have been from old greese but it came out clean after some cleaning.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I keep it available and use it for some things too, break cleaner has work better for me for certain things because it is very similar to carburetor cleaner except it is easier to get the residue out when you are dealing with factory metal preservertives. Lee
Old 08-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

i use break free powder blast and gun scrubber most of the time.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

The weather here in OK can be very hard on a gun that is not prepped well.After shooting, the boreis cleaned with Windex with vinegar.Theni like to run a patchsaturated withHoppes #9 through the bore. Then two or three clean patches are run through the bore followed with a patchwet with Militec. The exterior of the gun gets wiped down with Militec or gun grease, depending on the weather.One or more of mymuzzleloaders are often stored for six months or more with little or no attention. Never had any problem with rust.

Before the gun is loadedi run aa couple of dry patches down the bore.