Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
The better SCOPE FOR MY RIFLE >

The better SCOPE FOR MY RIFLE

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The better SCOPE FOR MY RIFLE

Old 02-04-2002, 10:34 PM
Spike

Default The better SCOPE FOR MY RIFLE

I am curious what kind of scopes you all use. I shoot a 270 bolt action and right now I have a tasco on the rifle not the worst scope I guess, I have taken deer with this setup, but I want to have more confidence when I am at that buck. I am not looking for a real expensive one OR a real large one that looks like a telescope. Maybe anywhere from $100-$200.I was thinking along the lines of the SIMMONS ATEC.What would you recommend. Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited by - Christine B on 02/08/2002 21:27:00
Old 02-04-2002, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The better SCOPE FOR MY RIFLE

I HAVE A NICE LEUPOLD ON MY RIFLE BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT TYPE IT IS, HAVEN'T SEEN THE GUN IN A WHILE, ITS IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY
Old 02-05-2002, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Also use a .270 and have a Seeadler-Optic (German) 3x15x56mm mounted on it. Personally, I would save a little more money up and go for a Nikon Monarch or a Leupold.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:04 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-05-2002, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Trailmaster,
I think you could get a lemon in any brand. I had a Tasco that did good for 4 or 5 years then went bad. They replaced it, but it took about 3 monthe to get the new one. It zeroed fine , but then quickly went bad. I don't think it could handle the ATV rides.
I have a Leupold V-II on my 7MM mag now. I do have a Simmons Atec on another rifle too. I have not used the Atec that much, but it is certainly not as clear as my Leupold.
For the slight difference in price, I'll always buy Leupold from now on.
For the money they are probably the best scope you can get! Good luck!
Old 02-05-2002, 04:22 PM

The leupold 3-9 is probably the highest quality scope out there for a reasonable price.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:34 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-05-2002, 10:37 PM

Greets,

While I mean no disrespect to those who can afford to go spend $200 plus on a rifle scope, I wonder what makes you lack confidence in your Tasco? While I agree they are the lower end where scopes are concerned, they CAN be good scopes, (but not apparently always). My suggestion is take your rifle out and practice with it. take lots of shots at various ranges. IF your groups remain constant, or improve, and the Zero at whatever range you sighted it in at remains, then you should have near total confidence in it so long as it does not get banged up or in any way damaged. Just out of curiosity, which model Tasco scope do you have? I hunt with a Man who has had the same Tasco World Class 3-9x40 scope for more than 7 years on his 270. With the exception of resighting for different ammunition, he has not had to do anything to keep it zeroed in. It has performed flawlessly at ranges beyond 400 yards. (He shoots regularly at targets to that far and beyond.)
My apologies to those wh disagree, but being one on a limited budget, I find it hard to spend $200 plus on something that I can get for less than $100 and have the device work as well for me.
Keep my sig in mind while evaluating this.

Oh, my buddy shoots a bolt action .270
Just my uneducated opinion!
Terry

Edited by - Adui13 on 02/05/2002 23:38:40

Edited by - Adui13 on 02/09/2002 23:38:32
Old 02-05-2002, 10:43 PM

P.S.
My 30-06 is topped by a Simmons, low end $50 scope. Dont recall the model but it is another 3-9x40, and though I've only had it 6 months its been great so far.

Just my uneducated opinion!
Terry
Old 02-06-2002, 01:29 AM

The reason so many don't have confidence in tasco's is because they have been failed by them at inopportune times. A cheap scope might hold it's zero for years but murphy's law being what it is that scope will choose to fail when you have the biggest buck of your life in front of you. Tasco's are pretty much junk in my experience, simmons is the same. The leupold vari-XII 3x9x40 mentioned before can be had for around $180 if you shop around and is in a completely different league than the tasco or simmons. The point is that over the years a tasco or simmons will NOT work as well for you as a leupold, that's practically guaranteed.

Quick Reply: The better SCOPE FOR MY RIFLE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.