Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Using " utilities"  for hunting. >

Using " utilities" for hunting.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Using " utilities" for hunting.

Old 11-19-2003, 06:24 AM

Default Using " utilities" for hunting.

Being a certified commercial pilot, I came up with a crazy idea one huting season. I decided to go to the local airport (Southern Pines, NC) and rent a small aircraft for deer spotting at low altitude.

I took the plan and took off one afternoon and flew to the areas I knew I had seen big bucks, after doing passes at around 700 feet I started seeing their bedding areas and trails better. After noting the areas of most deer activity, I headed home and got ready to hunt the next morning.

Just as I expected, the deer started moving around the areas I had flown over and I got the chance to take a old mature 8-point.

I have a picture here of me in a King Air flying to Texas...I just thought I would share this experience with you guys! I am the one to the right.

Old 11-19-2003, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Using " utilities" for hunting.

In Colorado (I presume most other states also),

" It is against the law to:

6) Use aircraft to hunt, to direct hunters on the ground or to hunt the same day or day after a flight was made to locate wildlife."
Old 11-19-2003, 07:16 AM

Yeah, I guess that goes for Colorado, I have read the 2003-2004 regs. and it didn' t say anything about this. I know it is illegal to shine light on deer and shoot from a vehicle here. Since it didn' t say anything about using aircraft for observation I did it.

Arman M G
Old 11-19-2003, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Hi IR655

It says on the first page (on the internet " edition" ):

" It is unlawful to use any of the following in TAKING wild birds or animals:

-airplanes"

Definition of Take: " To take is defined as all operations during, immediately preparatory and immediately subsequent to an attempt, whether successful or not, to capture, kill, pursue, hunt or otherwise harm or reduce to possession any fisheries resources of wildlife resources" .

From your post, it sounds as if you were using aircraft with the intent to pursue wildlife, and would thus be unlawful
Old 11-19-2003, 07:42 AM

Sounds like a good way to get some scouting done if it' s legal in your state. Congrats on the buck!! Any pics of that bruiser?
Old 11-19-2003, 07:44 AM

Alaska does not allow you to hunt the same day you fly. You can however fly in and hunt the next day, (I do not recall if there is a minimum time lapse concerning hours...ie. you landed at 11:30 PM.......when can you begin hunting? But I believe it may be 24 hours!)

To use a light aircraft to scout out a new area prior to a hunt....I personally do NOT see a problem with it. There are services that will sell you current airial photographs. And many hunters use them. As long as the aircraft is not used as a tool to " round up, harrass, or as a shooting platform" I think there is NO ethical contradictions involved. And I do agree that you should NOT be allowed to spot game from the air, then land and shoot it either. But as just another scouting tool preceeding the hunt....I do not see a problem with it.

Many people use all types of other aides in scouting and preparing. 4X4' s, ATV' s, game cameras, high power spotting glasses/binoculars, game counters, etc. And we haven' t even discussed game feeders/plots, etc. I don' t think there is any more advantage to flying over a day or more earlier to scout trails....then say riding in your truck to get to the hunting ground. (Not to mention using a firearm to effect the kill.) As long as the aircraft is NOT misused....it is fine.

IMO!
Old 11-19-2003, 07:53 AM

That' s cool man. That' s good that you found out their bedding areas and trails. However i don' t really agree with it being illegal to scout in an aircraft. Obviously this guy knew what you were doing (the guy beside you) and he didn' t have any objection, so, A-ok! Must be legal in carolina then.

And i agree with AKbound, he said it better than i did
Old 11-19-2003, 09:06 AM

IMO, I don' t think I am using the aircraft for rounding deer up and so forth, I mean, even when I go on my pleasure flight I see tons of deer most of the time and I know where I am at all times. It' s not as if I could close my eyes and say " oh no, I didn' t see that buck" and forget it! And if it happenes that I am hunting the next day, so be it.

I just wanted to share this with some of you, and I bet some might think it it unethical and and " easy" way of huting. I just don' t want this to turn into a long debate over wether it' s right or wrong.

Thank you for your comments and opinions!

Regards,

Arman M G
Old 11-19-2003, 10:11 AM

As long as it' s legal in the area you are in, I see nothing wrong with it as long as you' re not chasing the deer with it, or harassing them in any way.

If you' re using it as a scouting tool only, aerial photographs of an area does basically the same thing you' re doing, finding likely areas to hunt.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:31 AM
bigcountry

Thats a neat and expensive way of scouting. I would not have trouble with it. I think you could get more a reading from the ground than in the plane. I count on finding scrapes, and rubs to harvest my bucks. I mean from a plane you can see some trails, and bedding areas, but deer especially in the rut are unpredictable to where they move. But I am glad it worked out for you.

Quick Reply: Using " utilities" for hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.