Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Classic "old school" S&W model 36 (Chief's Special) won on Gunbroker.com!! >

Classic "old school" S&W model 36 (Chief's Special) won on Gunbroker.com!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Classic "old school" S&W model 36 (Chief's Special) won on Gunbroker.com!!

Old 12-01-2023, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Classic "old school" S&W model 36 (Chief's Special) won on Gunbroker.com!!

Woo hoo.... Look what I "won" off Gunbroker.com!!! A vintage Smith & Wesson model 36 (aka Chief's Special), from an FFL dealer in Florida. All I know is that LEO agencies used these for backup, and eventually phased them out, retired them, etc...

The serial number on this traces it back to 1972. How cool is that?

Old 12-01-2023, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Looks pretty nice!
Old 12-01-2023, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, Jake!

The grips look original from 1972 also... Once I am in possession of it (4473, background check, etc..) I might look into a set of the common J-frame snubby grips for it.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

IT'S A DONE DEAL!!!!

The local FFL dealer here in town called me and said it arrived safe and sound. They checked it all over and were amazed at it's condition for 1972. It was most definitely some LEO's backup piece down in Florida for years and years, until they phased them out. The FFL/gun shop here processed all their paperwork, contacted the Florida FFL shop, and did whatever they have to do. I filled out the 4473, went through the background check, and after $30 bucks, it legally became mine!

Problem: I showed it to my wife, and had her hold it. For some reason or another, she said it felt comfortable in her hand! My pinky hangs off when I hold it. So, now what do I do? LOL...

Old 12-06-2023, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Buy Replacement grips that are larger, thai is what I did.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

HA! Sorry there Butch. I do believe you just lost that little .38 to the wife. That particular little frame looks spectacularly like the frame on a Lady Smith. Dad bought my stepmother one of them is how I'm familiar with them. He had VERY large hands and 2 fingers hung off the end of it. Fit mom perfectly though and she can shoot the eye out of a rat at 20 feet with the little thing. Way more accurate than I thought it would be.
Old 12-06-2023, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL.... It is way easier for her to handle than my full size 1911-A1 .45ACP, that's for sure!

Last edited by ButchA; 12-07-2023 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like Mrs. Butch got a nice revolver lol
Old 12-07-2023, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL.... Probably!
Old 12-07-2023, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Butch let me help you out ! I got you a big green Christmas Bow to put on the hood of the GMC Canyon and a nice card you can leave on the front seat with the pistol ! Merry Christmas To Margaret ! LOL

Attached Thumbnails Classic "old school" S&W model 36 (Chief's Special) won on Gunbroker.com!!-abow.jpg   Classic "old school" S&W model 36 (Chief's Special) won on Gunbroker.com!!-acard.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.