Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 which 30-06?  Thoughts? >

which 30-06? Thoughts?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

which 30-06? Thoughts?

Old 11-12-2003, 10:28 AM

Default which 30-06? Thoughts?

Hello everyone! I am looking for a new 30-06 and I have a few models banging around in my mind. However, nothing can help more than the opinions of those that have shot or knows some one who has shot any of these models. I am looking at Beretta' s tikka Bolt action, Remingtons Weathermaster Semi, and Remingtons 700 Bolt action. I want to do some out of state hunting and want to get an accurate reliable rifle. Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to help!
Old 11-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: which 30-06? Thoughts?

Enough people on this board have stated problems with the Rem semi auto jamming that I can' t recommend it. Of the bolt actions you' re interested in . Go handle them and see which one feels the best to you. If money is an issue add Savage to your list as well as Howa.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get a bolt and handle as many as you can. I use Rem 700 BDL' s and Browning abolt and am a very satisfied customer with both. I also have a number of friends who own and love Tikka' s. One buddy who swears by a Win Mod 70 and yet another buddy who loves his Sako and so on. Point is only you can decide what is the best fit but a bolt gun will leave you with less worries and provide the best accuracy.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I was afraid that there would be problems with the semi. Cant go wrong with the old bolt actions. I plan on going to the gun shop to handle these to see what fits best. Im lookin to spend up to $600 on a nice hunting rifle, I could go a little more but I would like to limit myself close to that range. Also, if anyone has any other models they feel I should look into im open to them. Thanks again!
Old 11-12-2003, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Have you looked at any CZ' s. They make a beautiful full stock rifle in 30-06 that you can find for around 500 dollars. They are truely wonderful rifles and a pleasure to look at. The trigger is very good on them and they appear to be made very well.. Just my two cents.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Ruger M-77' s and the Tikka' s. Both are great rifles at reasonable prices.Look on www.gunsamerica.com you can' t find NIB rifles for allot less money then a local retailer.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 11-13-2003, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Take a look at the Savage 116 series. I shot one in 300 UM and was very impressed with the trigger, action, and accuracy. They had a bad quality reputation in the past but they shoot very nicely.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

If it is available in 30-06, my search would end with the Savage with the new accu-trigger. If not the 700 Remington would be my hands down second choice.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:51 PM

Thanks for all your replies so far everyone! I really like the looks of the Rem 700 BDL but I am also interested in the Savages. Any Idea what model of savage has the Accu-trigger? Dicks sporting goods is running a sale on a savage Model 111FCXP3 30-06 for $320 with a 3-9x40mm mounted and bore-sighted scope. Is this a good package that I should look further into? Thanks again!
Old 11-14-2003, 03:01 AM

it is nice to meet you averagejoe hunter. welcome aboard !!!

it really depends of where you intend on hunting and how far your distances will be. also depends on how much you want to spend on a rifle.
i have owned the newer rem model 7400' s that turned into a 1shot rifle. out of all my guns this gun i spent more money on differant mags and diierant types of ammo from round nosed bullets to spitzers , to 130 gr. - 1560gr. rom ballistic tips to regular plain jane buulets ( was chambered in 270win )i was also told from a person on the remington hotline on the phone. that when taking offf the front forearm stock if you tighten the srew too much that your chances are good you will have to check to re-sight in your rifle again. which i have found was somewhat true. and would chance the P.O.A by as uch as 1"
the older rem 740 or is it 742. seem to have better luck with not jamming and better accuracy than the newer 7400' s. which left a bad taste in my mouth on semi auto' s in general.
i did also own a remington 700 ADL chambered in the 30-06sprg. i bought from wal-mart . shot awsome at 50 yds using iron sights and got like 2" groups with a sand bag off the front of my truck ans got 3-4" groups at 100yds. the only downfall i did find with the rem model from wal-mart was that the stock looked cheaper than ones you would buy from other stores and mom and pop stores. mine ended up being a lemon and foun that i had to send it back to remington' s N.Y. factory to have work done on the bolt and action assmebly. got it back and after mounting a variX-II 3-9X40mm on it found that after 3 shots i could extract the empty casing but could not close the bolt for the 4th round to e chambered. found out from a gunsmith that the bolt was never corractly made ( something to do with it being never aligned from the factory when being made ).
but i have heard mixed reviews now-a-says since this hapened to me with the quality of the newer remington products with the bolt locking system where you need a key to lock and unlock the bolt .
i still have not yet bought a T3 and i have heard nothing bad about it so far from the few people that have them. i hear mostly people getting under 1.5" groups out of the box.

you might also want to look at the savage guns. they are cheaper and somewhat uglier by some spects but are a awsome rifle for the money and are dang on accurate for the $$ they also have package guns which include a sling and a scope already on them for a beginner rifle. i would stay with maybe one of these guns from savage first then from there down the road if you like hutnign out of state down the road you can upgrade ot a better gun.
i would also judge a gun by if it feels like an extension of your arm. if it feels nice and you can bring to your shoulder with no problems get that one that feels right.
good luck just trying to give you some facts and from personal expereince.

i always look when buying a rifle ( lets say you spend $400.00 ) you should atleast top her off with a scope that will be as much or more than $200.00. you gun will be only as good as your scope will let it. you out a jumk scope on you get junk results.
i use a browning a-bolt medallion in 30-06sprg that gets .080" at 100yds with a variX-II 3-9X40mm
i also own a browning BAR MKII safari w/ iron sights in 30-06sprg and get 2" groups out of the box using plain jane bullets shooting from a standing position shooting.
i am a browning fan myself even though i also own a savage model 10FCM " scout " in 308win that gets 3/4" at 100yds using 165gr. sierra gameking' s. topped off with a VX-II 2-7X33mm and the savage was cheaper than the other two that are above this one.

Quick Reply: which 30-06? Thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.