Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Springfield 1903- Recoil issue

Old 09-17-2022, 04:12 AM
Spike

Default Springfield 1903- Recoil issue

I love military surplus guns, such a rich history. I have always wanted to own and shoot a Springfield 1903 or 1903A3. However, I have a bad shoulder and am concerned about recoil. You can’t find low recoil ammo any more. I saw a video on YouTube and the recoil looks brutal even with a 150 grain bullet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails Springfield 1903- Recoil issue-low.jpg  
Old 09-19-2022, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I deer hunted with a stock Springfield for years. I still have it and shoot it regularly. I handload and would not consider recoil with 150 grain bullets "brutal". In fact, I would consider it pretty casual. I never used a recoil pad on it. I found the wide butt on it buffered the recoil adequately. Even shot it in warm weather in just a shirt. No problem.
Old 09-21-2022, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

work up a load with H4895, you can cut it back to no less than 60% of book max for a low recoil load, shoot a lighter bullet, say a 125 gr ballistic tip at reduced loads it should perform well on deer.