Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
rough rifling at the muzzle? >

rough rifling at the muzzle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rough rifling at the muzzle?

Old 02-11-2022, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default rough rifling at the muzzle?

I just got a new Savage Axis, shot it and it groups good. But the last inch or so on one rifling is rough and collects copper. It is on the last inch or so before the bullet exits the barrel that one rifling is rough looking. Is there a way that it might smooth out on its own? I contacted Savage, they said I could send it in to be looked at and they may be able to get it smoothed out. Said as long as it shoots and grouped that they couldn't replace anything but might be able to get it looking better. Don't really know what to do, as it shoots good but that spot does bother me. thanks
Old 02-11-2022, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

If it bothers you , send it back to them so it doesn't cancel the warranty . I dont think its going to get better. More likely it will start shooting worse . It would bother me . Thats not what I paid for. More than likely it will shoot better than good with the rifling straightened out .
Old 02-11-2022, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

I sent Savage the pic, they said it looked like after rifling was done and the finish applied, that the finish didn't blue that area for some reason. Said if I sent it in that they would bench shoot it, if it groups then They can't do anything. I already know it shoots good. Gonna take it out in a few days and shoot a box and see how my shots are. If they still good then I will probably try and keep it but having that spot in there drives me nuts. If the groups open up then it will go back to Savage.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by boomer92266
I sent Savage the pic, they said it looked like after rifling was done and the finish applied, that the finish didn't blue that area for some reason. Said if I sent it in that they would bench shoot it, if it groups then They can't do anything. I already know it shoots good. Gonna take it out in a few days and shoot a box and see how my shots are. If they still good then I will probably try and keep it but having that spot in there drives me nuts. If the groups open up then it will go back to Savage.
get some JB compound and run an oiled patch thru the bore then apply some JB to a tight patch and lap the bore a few hundred times. That will get rid of any burrs or rough areas that tend to catch copper and other fouling.