Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Member with a ? >

New Member with a ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Member with a ?

Old 02-03-2002, 12:18 PM

Default New Member with a ?

Hello all....what a great site....do not know what took me so long to find my way here. I love those whitetails and am an avid bow and rifle hunter here in West Virginia. I hope to get to know and share hunting info with all of you.
My first ? is this...i just a ordered a Ruger .44mag Deerfield Carbine and am in search of a good scope for this specific rifle. Anyone with suggestions or on hands with this rifle would be great. Thanks.

Edited by - Christine B on 02/08/2002 21:42:56
Old 02-03-2002, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New Member with a ?

First welcome to the board. As for the scope the #1 thing to do is get a quality scope. Most scope companies have their low and high grade scopes. Usually suggested retail price will tell you a lot about the value of the scope. If you are doing late evening food plot watching go for a 50 or 56mm for better light gathering. Do the best your budget can stand.
Old 02-03-2002, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the board Day4Day. You'll find allot of knowledgeable people on this site.You picked a nice rifle to get.Your question about scopes,I would recommend you buy a quality scope for your new rifle.Depending on what price range you want to stay in.Right now you can find Leupold's VarXII's for 200.00 or less.For a less expensive scope I've heard the BSA's are not bad.Nikon Buckmaster scopes are very good.I like variable power scopes.2x7, 3x9.If you are only going to have closer shots a straight 4 x will be a good choice.I use to buy strictly Redfield's. After they folded up for awhile ,I went to Leupold. Redfield is now back in business but can't tell you if they are the same quality they were or they have become a cheap scope. Look around and see what one fits your budget.Buy a good scope it pays in the end. Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-03-2002, 01:32 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-03-2002, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the board
Old 02-03-2002, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

day4day, welcome aboard. i hope you enjoy yourself here.
Old 02-03-2002, 03:15 PM

welcome D4D;just jump in when you get the feeling.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 02-03-2002, 03:46 PM

WELCOME ABOARD, ALWAYS BUY THE BEST GLASS YOU CAN AFFORD. BETTER YET BUY THE GLASS THAT YOU REALY CAN'T AFFORD. AS FOR YOUR SPECIFIC QUESTION, A FIXED 4X SHOULD BE MORE THAN ENOUGH FOR A .44 CARBINE. MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE IS LEUPOLD. SAY 4X 33MIL $249, 2-7X 33MIL $269.

CERTIFIED GUN NUT--
Old 02-03-2002, 04:04 PM

BigGun is right. With the small size of the Ruger you have and the short shots you will be taking I would buy a good quality scope. A fixed power would be preferred of good quality say a 4 x 32 or such. I would not get a huge scope for a small rifle.
Old 02-03-2002, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the board,enjoy youll like it here

Quick Reply: New Member with a ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.