Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington 700 >

Remington 700

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700

Old 03-06-2020, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington 700

Does anyone have a good tutorial, or can point me to a video or something that shows how to properly adjust a Rem 700 trigger? I have an old mountain rifle that is like new, hardly had any rounds through it but the trigger is too heavy for my liking.

Called my local gunsmith, they said they won't adjust triggers... only replace.

I have another 700 mtn that has a super trigger, had it adjusted about 30yrs ago, and its been gold since. I've seen a few things online, but figured I'd check here too. TIA!
Old 03-06-2020, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not too many guys are going to post adjustment information in the age of accidental discharges and lawsuits. A poorly adjusted 700 trigger is a big problem. It would probably be easier and safer to simply replace the trigger. A Timney trigger is not much over $100 and can be installed in a few minutes.

If you are set on adjusting the original trigger, just keep it simple. There are three screws. Two are on the front of the trigger (end closest to the muzzle) and one on the back. The screw on the front that is closest to the trigger blade is the weight adjustment. There will be a coating covering the screws that must be removed before adjustment.

To reduce the weight of the trigger turn the action so that the trigger blade is facing up towards the ceiling, and slightly back out the screw in the front (closest to the muzzle) that is now closest to the ceiling. Do not try to get it too light, and make sure it is safe. Leave the two other screws alone unless you are very sure you know what you are doing. Brush on a small drop of fingernail polish over the screws when you are finished to keep them from moving from vibration.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 03-06-2020 at 10:33 AM.