Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Double Wammy >

Double Wammy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Double Wammy

Old 01-23-2020, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Double Wammy

Made two gun purchases this week. I found a nice used Tristar Hunter Mag on Gun Broker and ordered a Henry Long Ranger from my hometown gun shop.

The Tristar is the model 35229 which is an over/under 12ga with 3.5" chambers, 26" barrels and full Mossy Oak Breakup camo. It includes all five factory chokes as well as a pair of Carlson ported turkey chokes. Seller claimed it was only fired six times.

The Henry is the model H014S65 which is a 6.5 Creedmoor with iron sights and 22" barrel. For the Henry I also ordered a Leupold VX Freedom 4-12x40 scope, a picatinny rail mount and I already had a set of 1" Weaver rings.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

That Henry looks an awful lot like a BLR. I wish you good luck with it.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

You are correct that they do look similar, especially when compared to the BLR in 81 Lightweight with its straight grip stock.

There were three main reasons why I chose the Henry. 1. It is made in the USA. 2. It is available in 6.5 Creedmoor. 3. It has a true full-floating 22" barrel.

Last edited by blksn8k; 01-26-2020 at 04:58 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

The used Tristar from the gunbroker.com auction arrived at the local gun shop today. Looks like a new gun.

Unfortunately, when I asked about the Henry the guy I talked to today said it was never ordered. Really? The other guy that I thought took my order on the 21st naturally wasn't there today. I even stopped there on Monday of this week to check on it and the guy that supposedly placed the order on the 21st looked at something on his laptop and said it wasn't in yet. Every time I see that guy he is wearing a Cousin Eddie hat and apparently it fits him well. Hopefully they have it ordered now.

What's crazy is that I ordered a Leupold VX-Freedom 4-12x40 and a Picatinney rail online for the Henry after I thought the Henry was on the way and I have had all that stuff for several days now. And the brick and mortar stores wonder why they are losing business? Good grief...
Old 01-31-2020, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

I'm interested to hear how you like the Henry.

-Jake
Old 01-31-2020, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

About 15 years ago --- at our outdoor gun range...I was witness to a tubular magazine explosion from a Henry Goldenboy lever action, in 357 Magnum.

The right handed shooter involved --- who was in a standing position on the firing line --- suffered shrapnel puncture wounds to his left arm and a single puncture wound to his abdomen.