Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Magnum Craze >

Magnum Craze

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Magnum Craze

Old 02-04-2002, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Magnum Craze

Because it is true FlatTop. I've been hunting and shooting now for almost 38 years. I'm semi retired and work in a commercial range for the last 7 years. I've traveled quite a bit over the years and in those travels to other ranges and clubs it's true. The vast majority cannot shoot.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:52 AM
bigcountry

I am curious. What do you guys think the difference is between the Magnums and Std calibers? What grainage makes a magnum. My favorite gun is my 270. Just reliable. But whats wrong with having a gun collection? What's wrong with having different types of guns and calibers? Whats wrong with letting people living their life with a muzzle brake? And maybe they can't hit the side of a barn. Who cares? Why are so many people offended cause other hunters don't hunt with what they hunt with? Why do hardcore bowhunters look down on gun hunters (270 hunters included)and think of them as lazy bad hunters? Why do percussion black powder shooter look down on in line shooters and smokeless rifle hunter? I have a feeling that these people need something in there lifes to make them feel better than the jones. I see poeple deer hunting with 220 swifts. Something I wouldn't do. I have no problem with that, as long as when you shoot the animal and then it runs a country mile under my stand and I finish it off, you don't come to me saying "you shot my deer".

Old 02-04-2002, 12:44 PM

Well said bigcountry. Ruddy what part of the country do you live in ? I think maybe out west people are more acustomed to shooting farther ? But like I said everyone at my favorite range is very proffeciant at longer ranges. Where I hunt if you can't consistantly make shots over 250 or 300 yards you are never going to bring home any meat. Later. Didn't mean to offend you.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

My next gun purchase will be a 7mm or 300 ultra mag. I don't need one but it is something that I would like to have. Do people really need cars that will top out over 150 mph? I'm glad we live in a society where we have choices to pretty much buy what we want. I'm not bashing standard calibers because I hunt with a 30-06 and have so for years but I'm ready for a new toy.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:41 PM

Hey Zeak I got to agree with you, I own several magnum guns but they sit in the safe and don't get used. I hunt with a 7mm-08 for all my deer and hog hunting, sometimes a 30-30 also. I don't see the need for all these new cartridges on the market other that to generate new sales. I also think that some of these guys buying the latest and greatest rounds are going to regret it in a few years, cause some of them won't be around in a few years. There have to many magnum calibers released in the last half dozen years, they won't all stand the test of time.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:05 PM

Sorry, but I like my 300 win mag, it shoots the way I like a rifle to shoot. I'm constantly trying to figure out ways to make my projects shoot faster and more accuratly. Even my Marlin 30-30 is about to under go a little surgery, as in fitting a 7mm barrel to it for 7-30 Waters round. Why? Its shoots fine the way it is but by rebarreling it i can get factory 30-06 velocity and with a higher sectional density it should deliver more "whop" on target. My old 7rem mag will probably be getting barreled down to around 243 or 257 cal.
Does this make me a member of Magnaholics Anonymous. Guess so but does it really matter what someone else shoots. Heck if we all talked the same,drove the same truck,etc. it would be a pretty boring world.

Old 02-04-2002, 04:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-04-2002, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

FlatTop I now live in Pa. I've hunted Wyoming 11 different times on self guided hunts. Out of those only twice did I shoot more that 180 yard or so. Both of those were on antelope trips and I wanted to see what the caliber (one was 300 wthby with 150gr and the other 7mag 139gr) I had brought along was going to do at longer ranges,but could have got much closer. Most of the hunts were combination mulie & antelope.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:51 PM

Let's turn this question around. Why would you not want a rifle that shoots flatter and hits harder than non-magnum calibers? As long as the recoil is manageable, why would you not want the best performing caliber possible? True, depending on the type of hunting, a magnum caliber may not be necessary. Especially for deer and smaller game at short distances. Here in Colorado, hunting for deer and elk where 200 to 300 yard shots are not uncommon, magnum calibers have their place. I shoot a 7mm Rem Mag, and I believe it is a great choice for the type of hunting I do and the country I hunt in.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:55 PM
Spike

Some of the places that i hunt here in southern Saskatchewan have no trees for miles. Deer will lay down in grass to hide and when this cover is in the middle of a field, you have to walk to it. When a deer stands up while your still 200+ yards away, it will probably be your only shot. I shoot a .270 right now but am hoping to buy a 7mm RUM or a Weatherby soon. I think that if a person is comfortable with the recoil, trajectory, and energy of the gun they shoot, then thats fine. I'm not comfortable with shooting guns like a .243 or .30-30 at deer because i want the deer to drop where i shoot it and i don't feel that these calibers will do the job every time. I have a friend that shoots a .30-30 and feels more comfortable with it than a .270 and i think that that is fine.

Quick Reply: Magnum Craze

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.